Stomach bigger on left hand side

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help. So I’ve noticed recently (maybe last couple of months, maybe a little more?) when I look down at my stomach, the lower part of my abdomen on the left hand side sticks out more than on the right.

Is this something to be concerned about? I can’t feel anything there at all and don’t feel any pain or anything like that, but it is causing me a bit of concern at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your age and prior health concerns would be helpful in answering this question. A few possibilities for this would include a pelvic and/or thoracic obliquity (rotation), but could also be a sign of diverticulitis, or even gastroparesis. You should have your primary care physician give you a comprehensive evaluation to determine the cause definitively. (Credentials: Integrative Medicine Physician)

Disclaimer: This post is in no way meant to act as a substitute for a proper medical examination and diagnosis.

• Posted

Thank you both, just fyi im 32, not fat but not skinny/athletic either!

• Posted

Not everyone's dimensions are exactly the same.; it may simply be that. I have one hip visibly higher than the other.Maybe your stomach has always been like that and you are only noticing it now because you are focusing on it more. Since you are not in pain, I wouldn't worry. Worry can actually trigger pain. The best place to go for advice would be your doctor.

• Posted

However, the body is meant to be mostly symmetrical, as to provide optimal bilateral kinesion. Having one hip noticeably higher is not "normal." Again, I urge you to see your PCP.

• Posted

My higher hip causes me no problems; it only looks strange. My dad has one leg very marginally shorter than the other but not enough to cause any problems.While the body is supposed to be mostly symmetrical, there can be some variation in this from person to,person.

• Posted

I'm really not trying to argue, but someday that elevated (commonly referred to as "hip-hiker" syndrome) hip is quite likely to eventually cause problems in your lumbar and eventually thoracic spine. As for your father, the discrepancy in leg length most likely results from a pelvic imbalance as well. Every study done and replicated (via x-ray and CT scans) has shown that only 5% of patients actually has a discrepancy in actual bone length in the lower extremities. Please feel free to fact check me if you for some reason doubt my professional knowledge. Look into yoga, physical therapy, and kinesiology. It could change your life. Best of luck

• Posted

Apart from injuring my lower back by falling on black ice and my dad having age related arthritis at the age of 79, both of us are still pretty fit and the peculiarities of our bone structure really aren't having a great deal of an impact on our lives. We must be pretty lucky!

• Posted

However, the body is meant to be mostly symmetrical, as to provide optimal bilateral kinesion. Having one hip noticeably higher is not "normal." Again, I urge you to see your PCP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.