Stomach bloating

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, my story...

Started with a severe back ache, and urinary issues. Diagnosed at first with a UTI that didn't seem to respond to antibiotics. Then ended up in the ER because of fear of the bloating that my stomach suddenly had along wuth the intense hip pain. The doctor ran tests found nothing, changed my antibiotic, told me to take miralax, gave me pain meds and sent me home. A few days later the rash appeared on my hip onto my thigh, dermo diagnosed shingles and put me on valtrex. 10 days later Pain has def subsided but I still have a horribly bloated swollen stomach with awful smelling flatulence. Anyone experience this? Btw im a female 52. Thanks in advance, happy I found this group. Hope everyone starts getting some relief. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes, i am 58, had the severe back pain as well for several days before the rash appeared. Mine was also on my hip, ( left hip area) and as of today I still have serious swelling bloating in my left mid stomach area. I am very worried, went to family Dr who ordered abdominal ultrasound and soft tissue ultrasound as well she believes it's just inflammation from the shingles however my shingles outbreak was early February soo I am unsure as to what this will show. I am scheduled for the u/s on Thursday... Praying its nothing serious.

• Posted

Hi Cindy.  I too have had swelling in my stomach. My shingle started back in July 2017 and mine started and back pain going around it’s my right hip and groin. After being on antivirals and pain meds my symptoms continued for about eight weeks. Then I ended up with pHN.  My thigh feels like it’s frozen and pins and needles and when it flares up my stomach gets inflamed also. I was told it is in the limp node so until that settles down and the pHN goes it’s just something I have every day. My doctor gave me pre-Gabalin for the nerve pain Which I stayed on for about two months and then I weaned myself off and I just take one at bedtime now. My condition is getting better little by little and I soon hope to be over this. I am sorry that you have to go through this but it seems to be a common thing as we age .  The important thing right now is to get lots of rest and try to avoid stress and eat healthy. I take lysine tablets, multivitamin, vitamin D, vitamin C, vitamin B 12 Take care of yourself and you will recover and hopefully quicker than I have. All the best
  • Posted

Hi Cindy I’m a shingles survivor this June 2018 will be a year I’ve been dealing with the PHN pain! I am also in my fifties now and celebrated my 53rd BD 5-mos after I had been diagnosed with the shingles. I had been given by my doctor a round of valtrex and gabapentin to help with my PHN pain. Yes it causes awful smelling flatulence! I haven’t had anything that upset my insides more. But the benefit of having to deal with the pain compared to the disease itself wasn’t worth it. So I kept taking it. The meds gives you that smell when you pass gas that something has died inside you! I am now taking Vitamin D , Vitamin C, a multivitamin made just for women, AND I’m going through ( the dreaded change of life) NO I’m not done yet! I also have diabetes so imagine the MANY pains my body has! Between the diabetic nerve pain, PHN I have t had a nights rest in 2 years! 

Just keep doing what your doing Cindy at our age it just comes with getting older certain ailments ya just have to live with! But in closing I just want to tell you to: always “Always” go see a doctor if in doubt. DO NOT just take the advice of others to diagnose and treat yourself. Doctors may not know it ALL but they are trained and their professionals!

Hope this site is helping you to at least cope with the perils of aging and the shingles even if it’s just to vent or get advice this place helped me tremendously and I hope it’s helping you as well!

I KNOW TODAY I AM NOT ALONE........

Thank You for reading have A Blessed Life 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.