Stomach, Bowel and Bladder problems for 5 years

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I am really in need of some help of symptoms I have been having for the last 5 years and I have not been able to get any kind of diagnosis in that time.

These symptoms all started in 2014 where I started getting problems with my digestion and bladder. I would often get sharp pains in my left rib area and right rib area. When going to the toilet I would find it difficult to pass urine, especially in the morning and it would always leak out after going. I went to the urologist and checked everything but nothing came up and I was simply told to stand longer in the toilet to let the urine pass. My doctor then advised me to stop eating spicey foods. Anyway none of this advice helped and my symptoms continued and I felt too shut down by my doctor to go back because I had been going frequently about my symptoms.

Fast forward to 2019 my symptoms took a turn for the worst. About 3 months ago I woke up to my pupils very dilated and my vision spinning for in hour. I was extremely fatigued and had really bad brain fog to the point I could hardly think or concentrate in anything. Also I was very anxious and my thighs were vibrating as if I had a phone on silent there. This was very intense for about 2 months but slowly got better.

I went back a new doctor and told him about my persistent symptoms from 2014 and how I was getting more and more tired so he ordered blood tests and a ultrasound of my whole stomach. The blood tests were for diabetes, thyroid, white blood count, glandular fever, liver and a pancreas blood test I believe. All came back fine but showed I had glandular fever in the past. The ultrasound showed nothing. I also had a chest x-ray that showed nothing. I took a full STD blood and urine test that showed nothing. My doctor phoned me and basically said just rest it off even though my symptoms have been on going for 5 years and have been slowly getting worse.

I’m not sure what to do at this point, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am basically been shut down by doctors and family that I have health anxiety when in fact I have just not had a real diagnosis.

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

so to add the symtoms in shorter wording:

Right side pain where my liver is located but liver tests fine and ct scan showed nothing.

Constant left side pain, ultrasound and bloods all came up normal, pain can come much worse after long day of working and standing.

Unable to fully empty bladder by dripping afterwords, everything at urouligy showed fine.

constant fatigue, problems with concentration, headaches, snake like stools.

Anyone?

• Posted

Hi david90491

When you had your blood tested did the doctor order vitamin and minerals testing such as vit d, B12 and other B vits, magnesium. Low levels of these vits can cause extreme lethargy. Low B12 can cause urinary problems. If you have not had these blood tests i suggest you get them done. Ask your doctor for a print out of your blood results which you are entitled to see.

• Posted

Have you had your Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D levels tested? Have you been tested for gastritis?Does your pain move about and have your bowel habits changed? Were you tested for celiac and was IBS mentioned?

• Posted

hello mary thank you for responding to my post. I never had my vitamin levels tested. I never knew low vit b12 levels could cause urinary problems. Can these be causing the pains i experiance in my rib areas right and left side? its especially worse on my left side.

• Posted

Hello pippa thanks for responding. So far no vit blood tests done or any test for gastritus. The pain is pretty random though i have noted with energy drinks my left side is really painful, this being located about half way up the ribs between the back and stomach at the very far side, but it can be often hard to pinpoint exactly where. The pain also comes if i am very active like doing gardening the whole day. The right side is a little less often than the left but does come about once or twice a week and seems fairly random. I once took a milk thistle and my liver felt like it was throbbing, convinced my liver blood test would show something, everything came up normal and the ct scan showed no stones. Also no tests for celiac or IBS.

• Posted

Hi david90491

I had urinary problems and it turned out to be low B12 that was causing it. When i started having B12 injections the problem abated. I was taking metformin for type 2 diabetes and the metformin tabs blocked B12 absorption. Also, i had fatigue and lethargy and stomach problems and Vit d sorted that too as i was low on vit d.....

• Posted

Hi david90491

Omitted to say i did experience pain in my left side....

• Posted

Unfortunately, you can't be tested for IBS. You only get an IBS diagnosis when everything else has been ruled out. Ask for an endoscopy to look for gastritis and celiac. Ask about IBS.

• Posted

hi mary, i am going to make a new appointment with my doctor and request a vitamin blood test to hopefully get too the bottom of this. thank you for sharing this info with me.

• Posted

hi pippa i will go ahead and request a vit blood test with my next meeting with my doctor as you suggested. if nothing shows, i will then request for an endoscopy to look for gastritis and celiac. If thats ruled out too then i will assume it must be IBS related. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

• Posted

Hi david90491

Ask for vits and minerals. When you get your results ask for a print out and check that your B12 is between 200-500 for your age....over 55yrs level should be 500-900. Vit D is around about 60...my first B12 test was 168 and doctor said it was ok when in fact it was very low. So check the results yourself. You are entitled to see your results by 'Freedom of Information Act'....best wishes..

• Posted

Great thanks again mary, i will request for all of that. do you still need to get vitamin b12 shots every few months to keep your levels up? or was it just done at one time and your levels stayed at the normal range over the future?

• Posted

Hi david90491

I still have 3 monthly B12 shots due to still taking metformin for type 2 diabetes. Metformin blocks absorption of B12. Also, if you are over 55 years of age, which i am, B12 from food and supplements do not absorb through the gut then through the ilium into the system due to a protein called Intrinsic Factor, which helps absorption of B12, diminishes. Vit d goes through system ok. You can get B12 patches that absorb through the skin or sublingual B12 supplements and sprays that absorbs from under the tongue and cheeks in mouth. As you are quite young your B12 should absorb ok as long as you are eating B12 containing foods such as for example eggs, milk, yogurt and meat also mushrooms et al. Meds such as PPI's also block absorption of B12. Keep us posted....

• Posted

hi mary, i have set a new appointment with my doctor for the 7th of january, so hopefully i will get my bloods back by mid janaury and hopefully i can get to the bottom of this. I will keep you updated, thanks again for sharing with me.

• Posted

Have you had any tests to look at your heart? Quite a lot of your symptoms sound like they maybe cardiovascular.

• Posted

Hi moon.

I had a chest x-ray that showed all was fine. Would that still take into account any cardiovascular signs?

• Posted

You have pain in your left rib area, your pain is worse if you have been active, also angina symptoms are often compared with the pain of indigestion. I would recommend you ask for an ECG and an echo stress test to be on the safe side. It may be nothing to do with your heart, but if there is a possibility it could be, I think it is always better to look into it.

• Posted

hi moon, thanks for sharing this info with me as i wasnt aware of this. i will have a talk again with my doctor and see if its a possibility that may need to be taken into consideration. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.