Stomach bug - Imodium?!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I’ve had constant explosive diarrhoea for over 36 hours atleast every hour and I’m

Unable to keep fluids in, as such my urine has darkened and im feeling light headed with a dry mouth. All I’ve done for 14 hours is sip water but that won’t stay in, I did eat a slice of toast yesterday but that didn’t help so stopped eating so that all that is coming out now is the water I’m sipping.

I’ve phoned the out of hours Doctors as I believe I’m dehydrated  but he said to just take Imodium and start eating again, if I take Imodium that’ll surely prolong the bug? I’ve taken rehydration sachets but they have the same affect as water.

Any advice on what to do to help and how long it could potentially last for please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Go to the hospital, they can put you on a drip to re-hydrate.

Take a sample of your urine to show them how de-hydrated you are.

They will check you anyhow, pick up the skin on the back of your hand and pinch, if it does not flatten out but stays pinched that's a good sign of de-hydration.

• Posted

Imodium will not prolong your bug! It will help to relieve your symptoms and will stop your food and drink coming back out again so you will be able to eat. This is important to keep you hydrated and nourished.  Simply avoid anything laxative such as fruit and try bananas or rice which will help to bind you up.

Take your doctor’s advice and try the Imodium; you will find it will help you! Your doctor is giving correct advice.  Trust and believe your doctor!  Wait a week and see if your symptoms improve.  If no better after this point, see your doctor again.

• Posted

Take a urine sample to your doctor for testing in case you have an infection. Dark urine would suggest this.
  • Posted

Dear Dorset87,

You will be fine and its just a matter of time.. If you can get pure honey i am sure that will do the job.

• Posted

Thanks everyone 48 hours in nearly and still no sign of it ending! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.