Stomach bug or something else? Plz anyone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i had some raw spinach the other night on my salad and also avocado and have been bad ever since, i woke in the night with terrible gas pains which subsided after a couple of hours but i still dont feel right. I have a constant uncomfortable feeling above my stomach and keep burping and sometimes fee sick. I am lactose intolerant but use lacto free products, however i have recently started an antidepressant citalopram 2 weeks ago which has lactose in, i am at a loss as to what it is, iv seen my doctor who has insisted its either a stomach bug or the antidepressants and to wait a few days to see if it settles first. It feels like really bad trapped wind and sometimes feels like its in my back. I wondered if anyone has any idea what it could be?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

eating greens can bring on wind especially if you dont do it very often and vise versa.  Also not washing veg could bring on a stomach bug and gas.
  • Posted

I would come off the antidepressants slowly and see if you feel better.  If you are lactose intolerant and your medication has lactose in it, then this could be the trigger,   I am surprised your doctor gave you this drug if he/she knew about your intolerance.  You could also try avoiding these vegetables to check for food triggers and keep a food diary.  

However, go back to your doctor if your symptoms continue.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies everyone, i remember having the same issue when i was diagnosed underactive thyroid and was given levothyroxine tablets, which also have lactose in them. I had to come off them and go on the lactose free syrup. I might ask if there is a liquid form of citalopram lactose free which im positive there is, and see if that helps. Theres nothing worse than trapped wind and pain! Absolutely horrible
    • Posted

My mum takes the same drug for her underactive thyroid but I didn't know it had lactose in it.

• Posted

I don't know if it would work and about dose, but what would happen if you took a LACTASE tablet prior taking the lactose containing pill.?

• Posted

Yeah levothyroxine tablets was how i found out i was intolerant. I bought some lactase enzyme tablets from holland and barrett but havent tried them just yet i think its been a build up of lactose over two weeks of taking Citalopram. I had the same pattern on thyroid tablets, was fine for a few days and then the build up of it makes me ill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.