Stomach cancer: gastrectomy after successful series of chemotherapy?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Greeting! A family member in his sixties has stomach cancer, detected early. He went through a whole series of chemotherapy and check-ups with excellent results - the cancerhas not spread anywhere and has shrunk. The family member feels great, the most difficult was after the first round of chemotherapy, but a full year has passed since then. However, after a doubt, the doctors left it to his personal decision whether he wanted a gastrectomy or not. There is a gland on the stomach that would also be removed in case of surgery, but the main doctor has not said for now whether he proposes to remove the entire stomach or the parts with cancer and the gland.

I would like to ask if you know of experiences with a similar situation and/or direct me to statistical data for the following:

a) how many people decide to undergo surgery after successful chemotherapy and what are the results,

b) how many people after successful chemotherapy do not decide to undergo surgery and what are the results.

And/or if you have any other advice I would appreciate it.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

It's great to hear that your family member has had positive results from chemotherapy and that the cancer has not spread. However, the decision to undergo surgery after successful chemotherapy is a personal one and can depend on a variety of factors, including the individual's age, overall health, and personal preferences. It's best to consult with the oncologist or a medical professional for more specific information on the outcomes of surgery after successful chemotherapy.

In general, the goal of surgery for stomach cancer is to remove all of the cancerous tissue, which may improve the chances of a cure and prevent recurrence. However, the type of surgery performed, and whether or not it is necessary, can depend on several factors, including the stage and location of the cancer, and the individual's overall health and medical history.

It's important for your family member to have open and honest discussions with the oncologist and healthcare team to fully understand the potential benefits and risks of surgery, as well as any alternative treatments that may be available.

• Posted

connor51535, thank you for your comment and advices. I really appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.