Stomach Cramps and Rectal Bleeding for over a year.. what next?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It all started a year ago when I ate. Whenever I ate or even put food to my mouth I had to rush to the toilet. I then started to have constant diarrhoea for a few months with awful stomach and head aches. 

Then I started to notice blood and mucus in my stools which ranged from dark red to bright red in colour.

I visited my gp who referred me for a colonoscopy. I had this done and they did find inflammation however also found a few pinworms, so they put the inflammation down to the pinworms. 

(FYI my blood, stools and urine have all shown inflammation markers as raised for over a year) 

I then experienced stomach cramps which were so bad I was hospitalised. In January 17 I was in hospital for 2 days with a temperature of 39 and body still showing infection. They pumped stuff through my body and the temp went down. They discharged me as I was feeling better but no cure. 

In June 17 I had these stomach pains again but even worse, I couldn't walk. They thought it could be gall stones or kidney stones however I had MRI and ultrasound and both showed negative. They discharged me after 4 days as they were no closer, dispite still having the pain and inflammation in body showing, I was prescribed morphine for the pain. 

So now a year on, I still have blood in my stool, I have occasional stomach cramps and I am no closer to finding out what it is. I have another consultation with the gastro in October however really getting worried as blood in stools is a lot more frequent and higher volume. Any ideas? Thank you 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh I've started to get this for a few months but last week was the worse mucus and blood on stool. It's horrible you get so stressed so easily over it.

I'm only 15 so you can imagine.

Ive been to a doctor and she suspects IBS or IBD and I'm having a blood test.

Hope you get better soon!

Stay in touch! 

• Posted

Hello Nay, 

Yes they suspect that with myself. I don't trust them though, my auntie has just been diagnosed with diverticulitis and it's very servere. 

Just to warn you, don't think a blood test will confirm if it's IBD/IBS!! Ive had hundreds and they still don't know!!  I just feel like I'm getting messed about and that they have no idea!! 

All the best with you and I hope they are much better than my doctors!! Stay in touch also! 

• Posted

Hi Kate,

When I was young I had problems similar to yours. I was referred to colonic irrigations. There's no doubt a naturopath in your area who does them. They are great for cleaning you out so your intestinal track can start working again. Also start on a good prebiotic/probiotic supplement every day. Those two things and above all if you haven't already, change your diet to eating more fruits and vegetables. Stay away from processed food. Wishing you a return to good health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.