Stomach/digestive issues after gallbladder surgery?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Guys I really would appreciate all the info and advice you might have. I got my gallbladder removed on August 5th and during the week of my recovery or two, I felt alright. I think perhaps around the third week I started feeling sick after I ate and this full and pressure feeling in my stomach after I ate the smallest thing. Also felt nausea again. I'm so angry, I thought this surgery was suppose to fix all my problems sad. Anyway, I seem to be having digestive isuws. I would like to be able to eat a normal meal without feeling sick after for hours or so bloated and full like I ate five meals. I even hate eating now. I keep loosing weight and its me good, I'm currently underweight and I'm 25 years old and about 5'6. I weigh 90 pounds sad. This is scaring me and I don't feel good or like myself. Any suggestions if I need probiotics or enzymes maybe? Anything i would appreciate please I feel like I'm going to feel like this forever and end up dying or something. Just wanna be healthy again, these issues are making me feel depressed and anxious.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ask primary or GI for a gastric emptying test. This tests will show if your stomach is emptying properly.
    Report Reply
    • Posted

I've had so many tests and I'm honestly so tired of them. This would be to see if I have gastroparesis correct? I did happen to mention to him before but he said he didn't think that was the case.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I'm sure you probably had antibiotics during the surgery. Anytime you take antibiotics I highly recommend taking probiotics to get your stomach flora back to good or else bad bacteria such as yeast can overgrow. I had my gallbladder out 2 weeks ago and I've been taking probiotics and a multivitamin everyday. I feel amazing.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I had no antibiotics just regular pain medication but I'm so tired of feeling like this! Which probiotics do you take and is it a regular multivitamin? How should I take probiotics when I get them, one before every meal?

Report Reply
  • Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Would I just take the digestive enzyme before starting to eat my meal? Someone told me the capsules are somewhat big and they can instead be opened and eaten with applesauce is this true?
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Oh okay well I heard to take one before meals and then eat. I'm guessing I would ask at the vitamin place when I go buy them. Thanks! Hope this makes me feel better soon.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Could you start drinking the nutritional drink, Boost? It has almost 400 calories. It has lots of vitamins and will give your energy. Maybe you could drink two a day. Could you have food allergys? Maybe you need to do a food diary. Maybe eat a low fat diet. I hope you feel better soon.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

I took a blood test and no allergies came out. Is this drink the same as ensure? I'm more familiar with those in store, maybe I could grab a box of those? Thanks for your concern, truly hope I feel better soon. Have you had any issue if you've gotten tour gallbladder out?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I had severe nausea for four months and I just got my gallbladder out last week. I lost 25 pounds. My only symptom was nausea and a Kindof messed up stomach. I'm recovering from surgery and I am hoping this will get rid of it. I still have a bit of nausea. It's hard to eat cause I've lost my appetite for so many months. I'm trying to push myself to eat and someone on the gallbladder forum told me about Boost. It is right next to the ensure. It's suppose to be good for people with digestive problems. It actually Kindof makes me feel better. I hope maybe this would work for you.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I was actually fine a week after my gallbladder surgery. Then like the following week or so I suddenly became nauseated again and i developed this full bloated pressure feeling in my stomach. After eating very small things or meals I suddenly feel so stuffed and full. But not the satisfied full, I feel sick for hours. Not sure why this happens, it makes me so depressed and upset. I was thinking perhaps my stoamch doesn't have enough enzymes and needs some and maybe probiotics so I was hoping if I got some if that would help? I'm so tired of feeling sick and ugh just no. Thanks for the recommendations though I'll check out the boost. You have no appetite still by the way?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I still don't have an appetite. Maybe a little one. Just eating bland foods still. I hope tomfeel better soon. People have said it takes awhile. I get depressed over it also. I feel like this is how it's gonna be. So sad. I'm trying to be positive. I'm gonna do this though! You are too! You won't feel like this forever. Feel better! 🙏

Report Reply
    • Posted

I've been told it takes a while too, even months. Thanks for being positive sad I just can't seem to be it seeing as a I don't feel myself yet. Hopefully soon I'm praying. If we have a positive outlook this might be easier, so I'll try very hard. Praying you'll feel better soon also! Thanks again smile.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I wish I could paste a pic of a conversation in the forum. This one person said her doctor said it could take 6 months. I think if we knew the time limit we could see the rainbow. Let's give it two more weeks and then we will be normal! Feel good! 🙏

Report Reply
    • Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Just thought it wouldn't hurt. She said

She weighs 90 pounds and hasn't been eating and hates to eat. She's Pbly not eating a lot of anything including fat.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi, there!

I wonder if you have a hiatal hernia?  Also, after gallbladder surgery, there are those whose liver does not produce sufficient bile.  Those persons can use ox bile and digestive enzymes to help them with their digestion.  There are others whose liver produces too much bile--these people typically have diarreha immediately after eating. I am wondering if you also experience constipation or diarreha?  

Report Reply
    • Posted

Can you feel a hiatal hernia? I mean as far as I know I don't have one.. How does it feel and what are symptoms if you don't mind me asking? My stomach just feels weird. Hard for me to eat. My gastro doc felt my stoamch the other day and he said he felt no lump or anything. And he made me cough while pressing on my stomach And said I seemed alright. Was he possibly looking for a hernia? I had diarrhea the first week after my surgery when I ate but now I don't. It's either normal or loose stools. Do you take probiotics or digestive enzymes, maybe both? Does it come with ox bile? Sorry for all the questions!

Report Reply
    • Posted

I don't believe that you can feel a hiatal hernia. I think that it's possible your doctor was looking for one. (I suggest you do some research into hiatal hernias, their causes and symptoms.)  However, an endoscopy might reveal more about what's going on in your stomach.

I had been seeing a gastroenterologist for years, and had a couple of ultra sounds and an endoscopy that didn't catch it. I had my gallbladder removed in 2009. Then, I had a CT scan last year, and it was seen.  I have a small one, and if I eat or drink too much liquid or in a certain way, I feel full, and have a lot of pressure in my stomach, and even in my chest.  It's very uncomfortable, at times almost unbearable.  I have spates where it happens a lot, and then I won't have problems for weeks.

I don't do well with probiotics and I haven't used digestive enzymes.  What I do is to eat small frequent meals, drink lots of water and keep to low fat, but I also drink lactose free milk, eat irish butter, ice cream, yogurt and cheese, but all in moderation.

Because your stools are either normal or loose, it seems to me that you might not need probiotics or digestive enzymes. I believe that ox bile is used by people who have little bile production.  I think that if you needed something to assist you with your digestion, you would suffer from constipation.

In normal circumstances, it takes about 3 days for your body to process and eliminate what you eat.  I also suggest that you might want to keep a diary of what you eat, and how you eliminate it and when.

I hope all the above helps!  Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do. xx 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Oh okay. Well prior to this I had a ct scan and I never had a hiatal hernia.. How many hours apart do you eat if you don't mind me asking in case you feel full? Do small meals help? I just don't know why after I eat I feel sick.. Which is what I had prior to my gallbladder being removed and the nausea as well. This is why I was thinking perhaps my body is having trouble with digestion. How long did it take for you to feel like yourself after gallbladder removal?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I eat every two or three hours, or so.  Small meals do help.  Divide your total daily caloric intake into as many times you will eat each day, and that will tell you  how much you can eat at each sitting.  Drink liquids, water or tea throughout the day.  Another thing you can do is to not drink with your meals, so your digestive juices don't get diluted.   

Hiatal hernias can appear at any point.  Just because you didn't have one when you had your ct scan doesn't mean that you don't have one now.  Because you feel sick immediately after eating (correct?) I think that the problem could be in your stomach. So, having an endoscopy would help, too.  

As for feeling like myself, I had to have my gallbladder out as it was diseased.  Some days I feel fine, some I don't.  I just learned to deal with it.  Because, I was so sick for so long with my gallbladder in, I hadn't felt normal in years. xx  

Report Reply
    • Posted

Mine was diseased too.. I had a stone the size of a golf ball. When I saw the picture it literally looked like an egg! So for your small meals how do you eat for example do you have a cup of rice and a piece of chicken for example? Or a small bowl of soup? I try to eat normal meals like before but it's like they don't fit. Wonder if my stoamch shrank since I barely ate before? And maybe when my gallbladder was taken out it affected me more? Not sure. I'm going to try to buy some digestive enzymes tomorrow as lots of people have requested to me. Also yogurt has natural probiotics so I'll start having that as well. I just want to feel normal and not sick anymore! Just makes my mood down honestly I feel terrible.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Forgot to ask this but can you feel your hernia in your stomach ? Does your stoamch feel weird since you have one or no, do you just feel symptoms when it bothers you?
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Wow!  That was a big gallstone!  I'd suggest that you have a small container of yogurt for breakfast, with tea.  Don't use yogurt that contains high fructose corn syrup as that can mess with your digestion.

Here's a simple recipie:  Use 1 can, 4 ounces, of cooked organic chicken, half a package of frozen green peas,  2 cups of cooked rice (white or brown).  I use microwaveable rice. Mix them together. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you want to eat, spoon about a cup into a small bowl and add some organic chicken broth to the mix to moisten it.  Heat partially covered in microwave 1 minute 33 seconds.  Season to taste. If carrots don't bother you, you can use a mixture of peas and carrots.  Don't use canned peas, because they can upset your tummy--at least they do mine. This is my go to meal, when I have problems eating anything else.

If you want to buy digestive enzymes, don't use them together with the yogurt.  This is because if you eat the yogurt and it doesn't upset you, then you know you can at least eat that, too.  If you use yogurt and digestive enzymes together and your stomach's upset, you won't know what product called it.      

I can't feel my hernia in my stomach, I just feel symptoms when it bothers me.  Try to remain upright after a meal for at least an hour.

Also, I hate to say this, but try not to rely on the advice of someone at a health food store.  In my experience, they're all too willing to sell you something that might make you sicker, such as liver and colon cleansing products.  They're not doctors, and they can't treat medical conditions. My doctor told me about one woman with thyroid cancer that went into a health food store and told a clerk she had thyroid problems.  The clerk suggested an iodine supplement which she used and her cancer went everywhere!  Ugh.

Best of luck to you.  Let me know how you get on!

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hey so I'm writing again because I'm not sure why my last reply is being moderated? Weird. Anyway, thanks for the meal plan! I'll be sure to try it. And yep I had a pretty big stone! I can't believe i was that big. The surgeon told me if I had kept it it was bound to get stick in my duct and cause pancreatitis or liver problems. That scared me so much. If you don't mind me asking again, what do you usually have for breakfast? And do you think I should leave out all processed foods (cereals, granola bars, candy etc) until I feel fully better? I'm honestly hoping the symptoms I have are just side effects from the surgery! Hope to be better soon and thanks for the yogurt suggestion. Forgot to get some today but I'll do so tomorrow! As well with the digestive enzymes. By the way, would you say you feel way better now than when you had your gallbladder?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi--sometimes mine get moderated, too.  Well, sometimes I have yogurt for breakfast, other times, I'll have a couple of eggs.  Mostly, now, I'll have some cold rice cereal with cut up strawberries and low fat no lactose milk--about a cup of cereal and a half cup of strawberries. 

As for processed foods, oat cereal and rice cereal are pretty simple.  I'd stay away from granola, candy bars (you could have dark chocolate squares because they're good for you) orange juice (because it has lots of sugar and is really acidic).  Find an organic juice that you like the flavor of and drink it in small amounts, say 4 ounces.  See if drinking low fat lactose free milk helps with your tummy troubles.  Instead of bottled milkshakes, make yourself a glass of chocolate milk and take a vitamin pill. If you want to use a sweetener, I'd suggest turbinado sugar.  Stay away from sugar substitutes, as your body doesn't know how to digest them and they mess with your gut bacteria.

Hope this additional stuff helps! 

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hey again! So today I bought plain fat free yogurt. Decided to get the plain one as it should be best for right? I thought I could sweeten it with some honey instead and I'll add fruits as well. I heard mango and kiwis are good for natural enzymes that aid digestion so I'm praying this will help me feel better. I wanted to ask if you still have coffee? Or do you just consume tea and water?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi, Deesan!  

Good for you!  I hope the yogurt helps you, and honey would be fine as a sweetener.  Try it with the honey, and just add a small bit of fruit.  Papaya would also be a good fruit.  

As for coffee, it really does a number on me.  Once in a while, I'll have coffee with lots of milk, but I always end up running to the bathroom.  sad

Report Reply
    • Posted

Haha yes this is what I will be having for breakfast tomorrow! A yogurt bowl ^^. I really hope this will help. Yogurt has a lot of natural bacteria and perhaps it will help my stomach.

I'm sorry to hear coffee does that to you! Have you tried having decaf coffee and a non dairy creamer?

Report Reply
    • Posted

I hope that the yogurt helps, too!  Please let me know how you do.

As for the coffee, it's the coffee whether it has caffine or not.  I can do non-dairy creamer, if there's nothing else.  But, I use lactose free milk in my tea.  smile

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up