Stomach/digestive issues with shingles?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone has stomach or intestinal symptoms along with their shingles?

It feels like I have gastritis or colitis or something.  Bloating, gas, burping, abdominal pain kind of all over, diarrhea.  As if the shingles/pain weren’t bad enough!  Also having some lightheaded ness which I feel is the virus in the ear area since I have facial/head tingling.  If so, what do you do for the stomach discomfort?  

Teresa

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I get flu like symptoms most of the symptoms you listed. Headache body aches the whole nine yards. Once my symptoms cleared up my doctor had advised me to get the new shingles vaccine Shingex available in pharmacies at two injections 6 months apart a booster is required. I has made a big difference in the reoccurrence and the area affected . I have very little flu symptoms since receiving the vaccine and just seem to occasionally deal with minor itching .

I highly recommend it ask your doctor. Hope your feeling better soon. 

• Posted

Hi where shouts are you? I had the shingles vaccine about 4 yrs ago. It didn't make any difference to me. Is this the new vaccine you have had? Can't seem to find anything about here. I'm in the UK. Thanks. X

• Posted

The new vaccine just approved by FDA Nov. 2017 in the US. Two injections the first one then 6 months later I had the booster. It is longer lasting and more effective than the first vaccine I had over 8 years ago. I had No side effects from the vaccinations. Google Shingex . If you had the new vaccine I am disappointed it has not helped lesson the symptoms for you. 
    • Posted

Hi there.  I am not a fan of vaccines other than the childhood vaccines,  so I'm not sure that I will be getting the new Shigrex.  I will have to do some research on it.  People that I know that have had it, have had an outbreak of Shingles after taking it and were sick with flu like symptoms, joint pain, and nausea and vomiting.  Thank you!  

• Posted

Hi Teresa

I had exactly the same thing. I took a probiotic every day and followed each meal with 100g of probiotic yoghurt. The symptoms cleared in about a week.

Hope this helps

Ruby

• Posted

Thank you!  I have been afraid to eat much for fear of the awful cramps!  I am already taking culturelle and florastor daily, but I will add the yogurt and see if that helps.  

• Posted

I had severe nausea with it, so bad that I could not eat anything other than jello and had to have a Rx of Phenergan, which knocked me out.  It lasted 2 weeks.  From beginning to end (I use that word loosely here, as I still have some lingering effects), I was sick for almost 4 months.  Still not 100% and don’t think I ever will be.
    • Posted

My doctor prescribed me Zofran for the nausea. It helps a little with that symptom.    I am afraid to eat much of anything at all due to the nausea and cramps.  My bout with shingles has lasted since last July.  Ugh!  Hope you feel better soon! I hope we all do!!    Thanks for the tips! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.