Stomach discomfort... is it anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had stomach discomfort (pain,gas,bloating,indigestion) on and off for almost a year now. I had tests done and nothing is wrong the doctors say. It's very odd. It will come and last for a week or 2, constant. Then it will disappear for a good month or 2 like nothing was wrong. Any ideas? Could it really be anxiety? I currently take meds for anxiety and have had panic disorder for 15 years or so. But never had this stomach symptom until now.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I have got my anxiety from 1 year ago and i have really weird things going on in my head like i´m just stuck in my head i have had many checks like Heart check Blood tests and also this,

I have had problems with my stomach like weird stomach aches and feeling like some food is stuck in my esophagus etc. just and I´m always hungry and i have had done gastroscopy and everything went good and i only have some bacterie in my stomach which is treated by medicine, My doctor from this gastroscopy told me i should go like really get some help for my head because like 90 % of everything in stomach and this feeling and stuck feeling in my esophagus is made by Anxiety he said. 

Hope this will help you somehow from me

• Posted

Hi, I'm very similar to you, last year in March I had this horrible hungry feeling all day amd the feeling that I needed to burp, to then realise it was indigestion. It was constantly for weeks at a time and then nothing roreally a week or two and then it would be back again. I went to the doctors so many times and tried different tablets but nothing worked, finallyou had endoscopy in October last year and he couldn't see anything that was causing it so it's a mystery, I still suffer it now and I hate it. I have battled anxiety for nearly 10 years now and never had any stomach problems. Have you tried reflux medication? Does it work? Hope you find a way of managing it. X

• Posted

It's weird isn't it? I've come to the conclusion that it has to be anxiety. But then my anxiety kicks in and tells me there has to br something wrong. It's a vicuous cycle.

Yes i actually take prevacid for years now for gerd. This is a different feeling though.

Thank you for your response!

• Posted

Do u have anxiety when ur belly hurts? I have severe anxiety especially lately,I have alot going on and yes,absolutely stress and anxiety can cause ur stomach to hurt.When I worry I get bad pain in my belly,I've now got a alsur due to it,perhaps u are having belly pain due to anxiety and perhaps that is going to lead to a alsur? Have they checked for one?stress and anxiety can cause alot of problems,I've heard it said that stress is a number one cause of death in America.Anyways I hope u find out what's going on sweetie,feel better and try not to worry or stress over things.I take baths,that helps me some,and I love music,lighting candles,try to find something u enjoy when stress and anxiety comes!! Feel better!!

• Posted

Hello, what kind of anxiety meds do you take. I suffer from anxiety, panic and PTSD.

I suffer from GERD with bouts of stomach pain. I know one of the meds that I take

causes the acid on my stomach to just sit. Do you take anything for

your stomach issues? Your anxiety meds can cause acid reflux by slowing down the

way your stomach absorbs food(digestion).I hope this helps it's not in your head.😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.