Stomach feels like it's going to explode

Posted , 14 users are following.

Not sure if it's IBS or something worse but for the past three weeks I've had an upset stomach every single day and it's worse after eating (even eating bland foods) although it seems it happens for no reason as well. It feels like my stomach is going to burst open there's so much pressure in it. It's making noises, popping sounds, I have excessive gas that smells like sewage/rotten eggs and burns, and I've recently had diarrhoea (yet it was very difficult to pass) after not going for over a week. It's driving me mad and I'm avoiding going out due to how bad my gas smells. I used to get this problem only occasionally (like a few days a month) but it's been over three weeks now... I've taken peppermint capsules and all sorts of medicine for upset stomach and no relief. I've been to the GP and they aren't concerned at all. I don't know what to do. I'm starting to wonder if it could be serious. sad

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Keep going back to your doctor and emphasise how concerned you are and insist on tests.  Your symptoms sound like IBS but you will need to get a confirmed diagnosis.  In the meantime, try a food diary to see what foods could be the problem. Avoid gassy drinks and broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts which can be gassy.  If you don't get help from your GP, see someone else or ask to see a gastroenterologist. Sometimes, peppermint can irritate your stomach; it gives me heartburn. 

I have IBS and I had an ultrasound, urine test, celiac test snd stool tests which were all  negative.  If all tests come back clear, IBS can be diagnosed.

• Posted

It's probably your IBS... diet is really helpful.. sometime u can take to much over the counter meds.. which makes the IBS worse... just check into your diet and if u r eating heavy and spicy r milk products cut back and eat a bland diet.. that may help a lot.. cut out sugar and caffeine..

• Posted

Hello,

The symptoms your having are similar to mine.  I use to be able to eat any and everything, I'm 31 now and i feel like every time i eat, my stomach goes into a shock, rumbles, hurts, ect.  I will also start getting diarrhea.  I would try a different doctor to get another option if you continue to have discomfort.  

For now, try taking a hot bath with epson salt to see if it helps a bit. 

Fell better soon! 

• Posted

Hi Rach,

Don't panic. (easier said than done) I literally just walked in the door from my GI appt and pretty much explained the same symptoms that you are having and mine have lasted (and still have them) for a month in a half.  He said he doesn't yet want to put me in the box of IBS but that is the way he is leaning.  TELL your doctor you want a referral to a GI doc. Clearly you are uncomfortable and in pain and need to find out why.  AND.....read everyones post on here that has truly been a godsend for me.  I have been a wreck for the last month, lost 10 pds from being afraid to eat, left side pain, right side pain, middle pain etc.....  Just to put your mind at ease and get meds to back off the pain.....call your GP now.  Keep us updated. smile We are all here for you!

• Posted

The trouble with IBS is there is no one size fits all. If I were you I would keep going back to my GP until I was satisfied it is IBS. I would pester him/her to refer me to a gastroenterologist for a proper diagnosis. Good luck

• Posted

Me too probably IBS but I don't want to explode overnight  because I was wrong

• Posted

Me too might be IBS but I don't want to explode over night because I was wrong

• Posted

Hello Rach 10852! 

Sorry to hear that you are having such uncomfortable stomach issues. I am currently an emergency department nurse in school for my nurse practitioner degree. I am not a know-it-all, but it sounds like you need a reevaluation. First thing that comes to mind is cholecystits (inflammed gall bladder) since you don't feel well after you eat. They would be able to see that with an abdominal CT, have you had one yet? With your increased diarrhea, have you been on antibiotics lately? Sometimes that leads to diarrhea called clostridium difficile which is foul smelling and loose.

Regardless, I am a big believer in prevention since I had stomach issues in the past as well. Since I changed my diet and lifestyle, things are much different. If you have any interest in assistance from me once this acute issue is solved. Just let me know, happy to help in any way I can.

-Kelly

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hello Rach 10852! 

Sorry to hear that you are having such uncomfortable stomach issues. I am currently an emergency department nurse in school for my nurse practitioner degree. I am not a know-it-all, but it sounds like you need a reevaluation. First thing that comes to mind is cholecystits (inflammed gall bladder) since you don't feel well after you eat. They would be able to see that with an abdominal CT, have you had one yet? With your increased diarrhea, have you been on antibiotics lately? Sometimes that leads to diarrhea called clostridium difficile which is foul smelling and loose.

Regardless, I am a big believer in prevention since I had stomach issues in the past as well. Since I changed my diet and lifestyle, things are much different. If you have any interest in assistance from me once this acute issue is solved. Just let me know, happy to help in any way I can.

-Kelly

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi, I have similar symptoms. It's been 2 years that I just have a very gassy stomach and I can feel it moving and making noises at night or even at work when I'm sitting down. For example I have to stop myself from reading the gas while sitting down but after trying to not release it then it sorts of goes back into my stomach and makes a louder noise that sometimes I'd rather release it. And since I can feel it it's very uncomfortable and my stomach feels very stretched. However, the gas doesn't smell or anything and I don't have diarrhoea.

I haven't noticed anything causing it or making it worse. But it's ruining my life. My gp doesn't care and its not just one doctor. They all say I'm fine.

Also I have tried activated charcoal and it helps a little bit.

• Posted

But I haven't tried any sorts of scans simply because they won't do it on me. Very sad because it's not just this I suffer from keratosis pilaris as the doctors say but it just doesn't look like it's kp. I hope one day they can become me so they can experience not being able to sit at work and not being able to go swimming or wear short sleeves because of the kp. But the kp is on my face as well at this point I just have to laugh and not care

• Posted

i have the same issues. Gassy stomach no diarrhea cramps. I don't know what it is?

• Posted

Hi mary14589, I see your post is new while others are old. I am in the same boat and this is all new to me - I've never in my life had anything like this. I haven't been able to sleep because of bubbling in my stomach but have no diarrhea. Do you have any other symptoms?

• Posted

hi I know this was posted a really long time ago but I seen that one of the comments from someone she was studying to be a nurse I'm having some really really serious issues right now I can't go have a bowel movement it's been 6 days 5 days and now when I eat I throw everything up because my stomach is so full then I can't have any more food in it and then my stomach kind of feels warm kind of like a burning feeling in the inside is my stomach going to explode I'm really scared and I have no way to the hospital right now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.