Stomach flu dragging on? Diarrhea and nauseous upon waking up too early everyday

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All! I’m on day 11 of what I thought initially was the stomach flu but not I’m not so sure. It started with really dry mouth and nausea and one incidence of diarrhea about two days after two of my four kids had the 24 hour vomiting flu. But it’s been dragging on now for 10 days and not really getting any better or worse. I just wake up every morning about 4:30/5/6 am with a fast heartbeat, queasy tummy that results in one time of diarrhea and then I feel nauseous for the rest of th day until dinner when I feel like eating a little bit. I go about my day pretty normally but when it comes to eat I’m just so nauseous! Any ideas on what it could be or how long symptoms can last? Thanks!! PS I’m super nervous that it could be some type of cancer and that I’m dying!!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

Please do not be worried, I'm no doctor, but I can be sure it's not cancer.

I've experienced the exact same thing. Stomach flu which stretched for a period of 2 weeks. Exactly like you, I was waking up early in the morning and as soon as I did that, my stomach started rumbling and I had to hit the bathroom fast. I was feeling really nauseous as well most of the day.

What helped for me was avoiding fresh fruit and vegetables as much as possible, avoided sugary stuff, coffee, carbonated drinks, and foods which irritate the stomach, such as spicy food, really sour food etc. But the real change happened when I started eating lots of rice and drinking lots of peppermint tea. It really did the trick for me.

After that, I got better, but my case is a bit more complicated because I was also having stomach and lower abdomen pain. I was later diagnosed with gastritis and my doctor now suspects IBS as well.

Anyway, my point is, you shouldn't worry about cancer or that you are dying. You will get better soon if you take care of your diet. I know that from experience. smile

And btw, feeling anxious can also trigger nausea and diahreea, so relaxing your body and mind will help as well. Guided meditation for relaxation was great for me. You can find plenty of videos on youtube. smile

Best wishes and I hope you'll get better soon!

Rommie

• Posted

Has your doctor checked you for a bacterial infection? or an UTI? If you have any family history of appendix or gall bladder issues you might want to request a scan. I lost my appendix(ruptured) and gall bladder, my mom lost her appendix and gall bladder(ruptured) and my grandma lost her gall bladder at 90. Some things run in families even though doctors might tell you otherwise.
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice and consolation! I hope that it starts to get better soon! Just gotta take it easy on the food and be patient, I guess. How long was it until you were back to “normal”? And you’re totally right about the anxiety and stress. I’ve been having a more than normal of both lately which I’m sure is not helping the situation smile 
  • Posted

Google IBS! I'v had a touch of ibs on and off for decades, now most days, cramps, pain, bowls drop out, no appetite. Horrible. 

• Posted

You may still have stomach flu.  It can take time to clear up.  Do not worry! Watch with peppermint remedies though, because they can trigger acid reflux. For me, small sips of milk work better because it soothes the stomach and gets rid of acid.
  • Posted

Sounds just like a stomach bug to me. When I got it, it lasted for about 2 weeks until I started feeling better again. Ginger helped me calm my nausea.. Ginger ale, ginger tea, ginger candy. If it is not getting better by then, I would recommend seeing a doctor and getting an endoscopy. Go to an ER if you feel like you're going to pass out. My boyfriend experienced this during Christmas and it was a flare of IBS which was undiagnosed for 3 years. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.