Stomach Hurts

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have been to the doctor a couple of times, and have been pretty much blown off (or so it seems) The last two times I have went the doctor hasn't even examined me, just talked for a few minutes then last time he prescribed Protonix, and told me after taking that for a few weeks if it wasn't better to come back and they would run some tests. This is what I have going on:

about 8 weeks ago now, I had a dull ache in the lower left quadrant of my abdomen. That has since moved to the upper right quadrant on occasion and it is more stabbing when it is there. It has really moved all around now that I think about it. Before starting the Protonix I was belching a lot and had horrible gas, belching has really subsided but the gas is still pretty bad. Bowel movements are pretty consistent usually a couple a day with the first one being around 0730 pretty much like clock work. They are generally not watery, I'd say they are kinda average I guess, not soft or hard. Sometimes the pain stays all day, sometimes it doesn't but there is always a full feeling. My latest twist (hopefully not TMI) I had to go this morning and didn't have any place to stop as I work in the middle of nowhere I had to hold it for about 30 minutes. When I got to work I went, and then about 30 minutes later I went again, the first time no blood, the second time a small amount of bright red blood I'd say less than a teaspoon full.

Anyone have any ideas? I have be diagnosed with IBS about 20 years ago, but it doesn't seem like IBS. I'm going to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist as soon as I can, but until then........

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi RustyDaDog

What is your diet like? Why not try keeping a food diary and see if any foods or drinks kick off the discomfort. Exclude spicey and fatty foods from your diet also anything acidic. Start taking probiotics and eating yogurt with cultures to get a good gut flora. The bright red blood is probably an anal fissure or hemorroids. If it was from anything sinister the blood would be coffee grainy looking and dark in colour. Make the appointment with Gastro doc..hope all goes well for you..

• Posted

Thank you Mary, that was my feeling as well on the blood, especially since as I say I have been having stomach issues for about 8 weeks now and the blood is just now showing up. My diet I can assure you is not good which is I'm sure not helping the issue. I have started taking probiotics as well as digestive enzymes a couple of weeks ago. I have been over the weekend thinking of trying a clear liquid diet for a few days to see if that works, or potentially fasting for a couple of days....I'm working on getting a Gastro appointment.......

• Posted

Hi RustyDaDog

Good your taking probiotics but not about digestive enzymes we produce our own digestive enzymes from the pancreas and taking substitue enzymes will interfere with our own, but if you feel you need to take them it's your choice. Before fasting or going on liquid diet, do eat what you normally eat and try the food diary just to see if there is a correlation with your discomfort and food. Just put date, time, foods eaten, pain or no pain. Do it each day every time you eat and see what transpires. You could get to know what food and drink not to take and what you can take without getting discomfort....

• Posted

You may have a fissure or haemorrhoid since the blood is bright red.  It sounds like IBS; symptoms are different for everyone and can change .  Tell your doctor about the blood. 
  • Posted

I have had blood in my stool but usually it was accompanied with constipation abd hemorrhoids. As far as the bloating it appears as if it's gastritis. I would try simple things like licorice tablets with DGL. Is your bloating accompanied by heartburn or acid reflux ? Try apple cider vinegar with the mother. These are natural remedies you can try. Good Luck !

• Posted

It all depends upon the diet habits. Have some light and boiled food for few days you will get some sought of relief until your appointment with the doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.