Stomach is a little off

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I have been having almost but not quite constant stomach discomfort in the lower left quadrant. On a 1 to 10 pain scale it is generally a 1.5 sometimes it's maybe a 2. I have tried watching what I eat but no matter what I eat it stays the same no better no worse. I've done some research but found nothing I can put my finger on to say this is the issue. So here are the symptoms:

1/Stomach discomfort

2/A tightness feels like something is twisted inside (this just started yesterday night when I went to bed)

3/No stool changes I go around the same time every day at least the first time, I may go once or twice more after that depending on what I eat. It is a light brown in color, and sometimes it looks kind of porous, like it has a lot of air in it.

4/ No blood in stool that is visible. It does appear to be a little flat on one side on occasion, I wouldn't call it ribbon like, and it isn't pencil thin.

5/ There is really no change no matter what I eat bland or spicy.

6/ I have been diagnosed with IBS-D years ago, and since this has been going on the IBS seems to have actually calmed down.

7/ No weight loss, as a matter of fact I have gained a bout 3 pounds in the last couple of months.

8/ Poking and prodding on myself I can find nothing that is tight feeling, or painful to the touch when self examining.

Other than that I am 50yo or at least I will be on Sunday. My diet I will admit is not the best, I eat way more processed stuff than I should. I drink a lot of water throughout the day. I would say I am semi-active I do a lot of walking with my job, and enjoy outdoors stuff when the weather cooperates. I don't smoke, and I drink a beer on occasion.

The last time I went to the doctor about 3 months ago, he told me all of my blood work was good, and he thought it was a case of GERD, I was belching a good bit before then, but that has calmed because he gave me a PPI and it has really cut that down. My stomach still gurgles a good bit but even that has calmed some.

I am thinking I need to go back to the doctor and insist on more testing. I am thinking stool samples, and turning 50 I haven't had a colonoscopy in awhile so need to do that as well along with potentially an endoscopy. My doctor didn't seem concerned when I visited with him a few months ago, but the stomach discomfort generally every day is really getting old.

Sorry for the long read, I appreciate all of your comments.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a mild IBS flare up since your pain is not that severe. If your doctor is not concerned, neither should you be. My IBS started as constant too, all day every day and then it changed to come and go pain. I would ask your doctor if you need further testing. Usually, doctors carry out tests only if you have concerning symptoms. I would try a food diary first and try an antispasmodic like Buscopan combined with painkillers and leave it at that. You don't have red flag symptoms like weight loss, or blood.

I wouldn't worry.

• Posted

That's what I thought as no weight loss or blood was a good thing. It just bothers me that it is a constant pain, not really a pain but more of a dull ache. I feel like I am getting older and falling apart. LOL! Thank you for the comments.

• Posted

Try not to worry about the pain being constant. Worrying will only increase the pain and keep it in constant flare up. Try distraction techniques to take your mind off your pain. When you are thinking about something else, this will help your symptoms to subside. My constant IBS pain lasted three and half months because I was constantly worrying. Once I got diagnosed, my panic and pain cleared up. Staying calm is key to managing your IBS and keeping it in remission.

• Posted

I would totally agree and you're right it works. I have for sure noticed that any kind of stress will increase the pain. I'm getting better at the distractions so that's good.

• Posted

Do you walk after eating food. I had gurgling sounds after food. I think things improved after I started walking after 10-15 minutes of eating food. Especially at the night. And yes, worrying does create problems for me. For me it seems my brain is connected to my stomach. As soon as I start thinking something critical, it affects my stomach.

• Posted

Sorry, I meant to reply RustyDaDog, not pippa58442

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.