Stomach Issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a Haitus Hernia a few months ago however it's never been confirmed via tests or anything however, for the last 3 months or so I've been suffering with lots of discomfort quite high up in my chest and also just in the middle of the sternum.  I am aware that some foods etc can set it off Including coffee which I've avoided for months now but the discomfort etc is getting worse to the point that I'm aware of it all day every day.  I am worried about telling my gp as I suffer with severe health anxiety and will not undergo an endoscopy.  Everything has been exacerbated by the fact that I have to have an ECG as well.  I also get very breathless when I eat and after eating.  Does anyone else have these symptoms?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't be afraid to tell your GP.  Tell the doctor that you are terrified of an endoscopy and ask for a barium meal instead.  It is less invasive and doesn't require sedation.  I had a bad experience with an endoscopy because I was intolerant to the sedation.  I suffer from anxiety too and the best way is to discuss your issues with your doctor and they can offer an alternative solution that works for you.  I have a lot of problems at the dentist with getting proper pain relief.  When I explained my fears, intolerances and bad experiences I got my treatment tailored to my needs.

• Posted

Moment, ECG? Doing an ECG worries? (or was it the result that worries, that would be different again)

My baby had an ECG, I anyway yearly,

you just lie down and have stickers on you.

There is no pain, nothing invasive, short,

it's like a little break one gets from the day of running around.

I love ECGs, finally officially being allowed to lie down for 5 minutes!

That's how I see it.

ME-TIME.

See it that way please. An ECG is really, well, nothing.

For many medications there needs an indication and often it is not only granted by telling about symptoms orally.

An ECG is often done prior a certain med to make sure, one has no underlying unknown heart disease and the meds making it worse.

It's really good to have it done for safety and an ECG alone should not make anyone anxious.

I can't follow that at all, maybe you can enlighten me to be more understandable if I come accross such high anxiety about something, that doesn't hurt.

(I honestly would have been furious und not very understanding with my child if she freaked out about an ECG already. Surgery and scopes of course I do understand to be more or less anxious about and we have been there too.

So please broaden my horizon here, because I really don't get the anxiety about an ECG, that feels almost pleasant due to being allowed to just lie and relax. Or maybe I misunderstood)

X-rays are a good clue giver but have one huge disadvantage: you can't see the inside walls directly and take biopsies. Then again, it might not be necessary.

• Posted

If you are the type to be furious over anxiety then perhaps I'll take advice from others.  Thank you for your response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.