Stomach Issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been with my boyfriend for six years. Ever since I've known him, he has had stomach issues. Now this may be something people don't want to to hear but, he lets out gas all the time; it smells really bad. He also only has bowel movements every few days, can sometimes be 3-4 times in that day. On the days he doesn't have any, he always complains of a sore stomach. I don't know what to do for him. He refuses to go see a doctor.

Any suggestions?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

From what you describe he could well have an irritable bowel (IBS, irritable bowel syndrome) which is very common. Read up on the internet what can be done, as doctors can't do much except give the same advice and help with medication if needed - but that can mess you up also... if it's IBS then learning what foods, drinks and eating habits (also by trial and error) help you to live better is the best way of managing it.

• Posted

Eating more fibre such as fruit and vegetables should help.  Oranges, peaches. grapes and prune juice are all good and help me.  I have always been prone to constipation which will in the end cause me stomach ache.  However, I now have IBS with constipation which causes me to go days, a week or two weeks between bowel movements. Eventually, I do the backlog in one day.

He could try OTC laxatives to see if that would also help. How long has he had these problems? However, if none of these things work, he will have to see a doctor for tests and diagnosis.  It may be simple constipation or IBS.  But only medical advice will be able to determine the cause definitively.

• Posted

Hi there,

He has had these problems for years. The six years I've known him he has been dealing with it. I will try those specific fruits and maybe a laxative, I just wish he would go see a doc and get to the bottom of it. Thanks for your input!

• Posted

I have a phobia about doctors because things have gone wrong on the few occasions I have seen one.  However, when my constipation kept coming back weekly and I developed constant stomach pain and nausea that wouldn't go away, I panicked myself to the doctor after two weeks of symptoms.  It took three and a half months of negative tests and more panic before I was finally diagnosed with IBS which came about two months after the trauma if a botched blood test.

• Posted

Hi sarah04611

That's a very long time for boyfriend to be having these issues... does he eat healthily plenty fruit veg and fibre also does he drink plenty of fluids?...if he has a bad diet and eats junk food he should change what he is putting into his system....help him to start using an alternative way of eating if he is putting junk into.his system....he could try going gluten free and lactose free and plenty of fluids and exercise will help the bowel into action....try this if there is no change he should go visit his doc to get appropriate scans and treatment....by the way you are a very caring girlfriend...best wishes....

• Posted

Hi Lilian,

I don't think he drinks enough fluids, coffee for the most part but I never see him drink water. He eats decently, we usually make a good dinner with lots of veggies and he eats plenty of fruits. He works maintenance on a golf course so he has his exercise cut out for him. Gluten free may be a good idea, his mother was Paleo but he has never been checked for it. He will not go to a doc. Thanks for your input!

• Posted

Hi satah04611

Happy to help Sarah..try and make him drink plenty of water.....about 4 - 6 x 500ml bottes per day...as well as decaf coffee or tea...lots of liquids will help make the stool softer and help it through the colon and bowel.....best wishes....

• Posted

Tell your boyfriend to eat light and healthy foods and to avoid fast foods and spicy foods.Tell your bf to do some daily excerise and drink water frequently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.