Stomach issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

3 yrs ago I was told I had ibs

This year back in feb 2018

I had a bout of gastrointestinal infection

After this bout I asked for further checks as I never really had my ibs looked into

I had smelly wind and my stools were not consistent in formation 

I had a colonoscopy and Random biopsies taken and all clear

But still I have an unsettled tummy and inconsistent stools

No blood

I have seen a nutritionist and been on a diet plan and have lost considerable weight like a stone and a half since feb 

The doctor is telling me I am ok

But my weight and toilet manners and irritable tummy have left me with much stress and anxiety

I feel all alone

I have had a Gi map done a private fecial test which I’m waiting on the results from

Are there any other tests I should ask for or is my anxiety and weight loss getting the better of me 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Aimran

I will advise you await your test results, make an appointment with your GP when the results arrive and discuss its meaning with Him. Hopefully you will be ok

Let us know how you get on

BOB

• Posted

Many thanks for replying I have discussed my biopsy and colonoscopy results already

I will await my fecial private test results and then look to discuss those with my gp

Thank you

• Posted

Difficult to say but If you’ve had an infection it can cause some changes to your existing ibs. Are you following the fodmap diet? Some foods are a no go with ibs and especially if you’ve had a gut infection which could have upset it even more. I lost loads of weight after a gut infection and had to stay on the fodmap diet which improved things vastly. 
  • Posted

With IBS, no test will show anything up.   Wait for the results of your fecal test and leave it at that if it is negative.  Accept your IBS and you will start to feel better,  When I was diagnosed with IBS three years ago, 8 accepted my diagnosis and since then I have felt so much better.
  • Posted

Hey sweetheart i have irritable bowel syndrome and a hiatal hernia plus I have acid reflux disease very bad i get very sick to my stomach it hurts so bad that I want to throw up plus I get very nauseous and my stomach hurts
  • Posted

Hey aimran, Well as everyone says you should wait for your test results and discuss with your doctor that what does it mean....having knowledge what is happening with us and why is it happening with us helps us to deal with the problem better....IBS sometimes accompanies with anxiety because gut and mind are connected....I would suggest you should tell about your anxiety to your doctor and ask him to help regarding your anxiety...As in my case once I started taking care of my IBS with my anxiety things got better very fast  and also sustainable.biggrin
  • Posted

I know stress can wreck havoc with IBS. I feel like IBS has made me a prisoner and has isolated me from going out. I am always worried that i wont make it to the bathroom in time so i shy away from places without a restroom. I am seeing my dr in 3 wks and going to ask what can be done to alleviate the anxiety that comes with IBS. As far as tests, they tested me to see if i had an intolerance to fructose which is in a lot of foods. I was fine. I have to get the lactose test and i want to see if i should try a glutton free diet. I havent experienced wt lose but i think that's because i am on vertigo medicine that can cause weight gain (yuk!). But i always feel awful and shaky after a bout of diarrhea. Plus i eat imodium like candy which may add to the shakyness. Maybe your weight loose is due to losing the nutrients from your bouts of D?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.