Stomach Issues ? Coeliac

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi,

I've been suffering from increasingly worsening stomach issues, cramps, diarrhoea  & it's definitely related to bread/pasta/cakes etc. Yesterday I had blood test for coeliac, she also tested for anaemia & inflammatory markers. Today I had a call from the surgery to say my inflammatory markers are raised & I need to be retested on the 7th May. Naturally, I'm worried , but was wondering if raised inflammatory markers are indicative of coeliac??

thanks for reading. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Not necessarily, it can mean different things, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis, different things , infection. If your coeliac results are negative it's unlikely you are. Hopefully not anyway. I've only recently been tested for coeliac and my Iga levels were 25 times higher than what they should be and they then tested for endomysial antibodies which were positive, I've just had endoscopy and biopsy to confirm. Speak with your GP and ask if there is still a possibility of coeliac. I think if your bloods are negative it's unlikely they will send for an endoscopy.
    • Posted

Hi Jodie,

Thank you for your reply. The coeliac bloods aren't back yet, I was just trying to second guess due to the inflammatory markets being raised... Just panicking I think, not enough information from the receptionist & my overactive imagination!

I think I'm just sensitive to wheat but will wait to see what the results from the bloods are before I reduce it.

I'm sorry that you tested positive, it's not a nice thing to have. 😥

• Posted

I got my biopsy results back, confirmed I'm coeliac with total atrophy. Just got to go back to hospital now I hope you get some answers soon.
    • Posted

Oh, Jodie - HUGS to you!!!!  This bad news is actually great - now your healing can begin!  I wish you the very best as you start your journey and get your body back on track!!

Shiny nails - GL to you!  You could possibly be allergic to wheat. Someone I know developed wheat and milk allergies in her 40s. She can't eat wheat to find out if she's Coeliac, so she just stopped the testing at the allergy parts and avoids those and some other foods at all costs.  Please keep us posted!!  (My blood work was okay but my gut is not and my son has CD so my endoscopy is 5/4)

• Posted

Jodie~ I hope that you will be feeling so much better soon. Xx

Aveline ~ thank you for your reply. I suspect too that I have an allergy/intolerance to wheat. If the blood test comes back normal for CD I will just come off it right away but IF ( bug if!) it's positive I will obviously continue with it until I have an endoscopy. I'm feeling particularly rubbish in the stomach area today, but had a toasted ciabatta and sponge cake for lunch.

Hope you get some answers soon too. Xx

• Posted

Thank you , just waiting to back to hospital now and see where I go from here. Just hoping they don't say I need to come off dairy for 6 months because of the extent of damage. Fingers crossed x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.