Stomach issues for 2 weeks (HELP!)

Posted , 11 users are following.

Never did I ever think I would be posting on a health forum. However I have gotten so desperate that I am not sure what to do anymore. I guess I will start from the beginning in hopes that someone can give me a lead as to what is wrong and what I should do.

About 2 to 2 and 1/2 weeks ago, I began to notice problems with my stomach. Symptoms include: persistent nausea (however NO vomiting...), heartburn, stomach throbbing after eating, increased heart rate, bloating, abdominal tenderness,  constipation, diarrhea, decreased appetite, etc.

At first I thought the stomach pain was something left over from the flu, which I had about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't entirely sure if it was the flu because the doctor I went to ran out of flu tests... but they figured that's what it was, they prescribed me some medicine and an inhaler, and eventually I was feeling back to normal.

However, after getting over the sickness I began to notice problems with my stomach (mentioned above) that were unlike the normal "stomach bug." And I had a strong feeling that it wasn't the stomach bug, because I wasn't throwing up and it has lasted this long... 

So what I did was I went to the doctor. I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis because I was having some strange discharge and was given Flagyl. I asked my doctor if that would be what was causing my bad nausea. She said maybe, but that was it. Despite some of my "down there" problems subsiding, I was still plagued with the symptoms concerning my stomach and abdomen. 

So I went to the doctor again, this time a different one, and he prescribed me with Protonix, which I took for one day and then was in so much pain that I eventually found myself in the hospital because the nausea and abdominal pain was unbearable, I began shaking a lot. At the hospital they tested my blood and urine as well as did a CAT scan. According to everything, there was nothing abnormal in my blood, urine, stomach, liver, kidneys, etc. They diagnosed me with "constipation," which was strange to me because before going to the hospital, the Flagyl I was taking was giving me diarrhea... and I was going to the bathroom quite a lot.

The hospital prescribed me with some laxative type things that I am forgetting at the moment, stool softeners and what-not, and a drink that succeeded in making me vomit finally because it tasted so bad, but did little to cure my stomach issues.

I've tried everything: high-fiber foods, laxatives, "detoxifying" teas and drinks, etc. but nothing seems to clean me out especially when it is hard to keep much of it down with my excruciating nausea.... 

I can no longer go to school, work, or even walk up and down the stairs without getting lightheaded, nauseous, and in pain in my abdominal area. I've spent the past week just laying down because it's too nauseating to move or do anything else. My stool doesn't seem to be bloody, however I've noticed it to have an orangey-color at times. The pain in my abdomen is very low, almost near my pelvic area. 

I don't smoke, I don't drink alcohol (however I did get drunk for the first time BEFORE my stomach problems began... not sure if that means anything that I drank once...)

I'm sorry everything is so jumbled but I can't take it anymore. I have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist next week, and if my stomach problems don't subside themselves before then, then I would like to have some kind of leads to discuss with the doctor.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I’m so sorry you are having to go through this. Sounds like the GI doctor should start by doing a upper GI scope. Maybe you have some damage in your stomach lining. Most GI doctors also do a biopsy. And some also do a colonoscopy at the same time. If it all come back normal, keep looking for answers. Hopefully you get some answers and hope you feel better soon!
  • Posted

I too am having problems with my stomach and bowels. I am Type II Diabetic (18 years) and all of a sudden it was like someone flipped a switch...I became constipated and for the last 2 months, my BM's have been all over the place and I am losing weight. Taking Miralax, however, then I go 5-6 times a day. If I don't take it, I get constipated. I am going for some testing to see if I have some nerve damage in my stomach or bowels. When it affects your stomach, you have  delayed stomaach empyting. If you have nerve damage in your bowels , it can be parastalis constipation.   Over a long period of time, diabetes can do damage to your body. I aim to find out what is going on with mine.  The weight loss worries me the most.

• Posted

Hi olivia61299

Flagyl causes stomach problems heartburn, constipation, diahorreah, nausea and can continue long after you finish the course....

• Posted

It sounds like it could be IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome ) which leaves you feeling Bloated Nauseus Stomach Pain Constipated and Diarrhoea.i would go back to your Dr and insist that something is done about it. You should not have to suffer like you are doing .

• Posted

Sometimes stomach infections can lead to IBS.  Does your pain move about your stomach?  Have you tried a food diary since your stomach hurts after eating?   If all your tests come back clear, doctor's can diagnose IBS.

I went to my doctor after two weeks of generalised, shifting abdominal pain, nausea, constipation, back pain and eventually loose stools.  I also developed strange discharge which they thought was bacterial vaginosis but turned out to be thrush.  I was told I got it because of the antibiotics I had been prescribed to see i f I had a UTI. The UTI test was negative but the doctor wasn't sure if it was a false negative.  However, when the medication did nothing for my pain, it was concluded that there was no infection present.  An ultrasound, stool tests for h pylori and fecal calprotectin and a celiac test were also negative.  In the end, I was diagnosed with IBS when my doctor asked about stress levels and I told him I had had non stop stress for six months before my symptoms started.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.