Stomach issues from Prednisone?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Mane people have posted regarding stomach problems from being on Prednisone specifically acid reflux, indigestion type issues. I am wondering if anyone has experienced other types of stomach problems like nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain across the upper intestine that they have correlated to long term steroid use. I have been dealing with symptoms like these for almost a month now. Have seen my GP and have had tests looking for blood or an intestinal parasite that were negative. Have switched to a different probiotic, stopped dairy, and added a fiber supplement to my daily regime. (I have been on Prednisone since July of 2015 currently taking 19 mg). Could these symptoms be steroid related? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Marla and Bob: the nicer answer to the problem may be that you have developed another autoimmune problem which is affecting your gut.

I say that because I do hope that both of you have been investigated for the elephant in the room: cancer? One lady had similar problems to what you describe and was dismissed by her GP as it being the pred despite these really not being typical pred-associated problems (doesn't mean it isn't of course). Eventually she was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. I'm not for a moment suggesting that applies to you, but it or something similar MUST be ruled out and preferably sooner rather than later for obvious reasons.

• Posted

I have thought of both of these things you mentioned. My GP already said to me " you are due for a colonoscopy now anyway so get that done soon"!  Oh goodie!! I remember the prep for that procedure!  Not a fan😬
    • Posted

No, me neither! But the TV show was quite interesting and it does give a feeling of security when they don't see even a polyp...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.