Stomach issues, GERD, possible MS, and vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and thank you for any responses up front. I recently returned from college back home for the summer and was struck with what I was told by every doctor to be a bad stomach virus.

I was put on Prilosec and then Zantac and have been this way for almost 3 months. I have now been experiencing massive amounts of fatigue almost the same time everyday, and I also sometimes feel like I have vertigo or just extreme trouble focusing.

I'm getting so stressed because I had an MRI and it came up normal, but I've heard you can still have ms and not have it show up in a brain mri. I'm at a loss. I don't know what else to do, and I'm starting to feel depressed. I don't want to worry my parents anymore, but I'm also concerned that I have this disease and I will never be able to live the life I wanted with these constant episodes.

Update, I've been checked again by my GP and turns out I have a vitamins D deficiency. I am optimistic but slightly that this is what is causing everything. I'm still terrified that I could have MS or something under the radar but with a diagnosis like this no one will definitely give me the time ignore day now. 

Can anyone help me make something of this? Does this sound like any case you know of? Or is it possible something else? Please if you have any answers let me know, and sorry for the long post. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, if you have vitamin Deficiency deficiency you may have other vitamin deficiency. If you are being sick you will feel tired, I have ms and spine stuff but currently I think I'm deficient in vitamins, I have reflux too which can turn into full blown sickness all night if I don't watch what I eat. Unfortunately the things that aggravate are what I need. Try changing your diet and taking vitamins. Don't eat hard to digest things like crisp lettuces, sweet corn, any spicy food. Cut down on tea and coffee. Talk over your worries with your Dr. Ms is not a death sentence. Anxiety can make you tired, consider CBT. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the reply

I talked it over with my GP and he said none of the many blood tests pen the MRI showed any reason to consider MS at this point. I've been started on 50,000 iu of vitamin D2 for 6 weeks. 

I had my b12 tested as well as several other things. I was just so paranoid that it could be MS, and I was worried my GP wasn't considering it because of no history/I'm too young. I never had an anxiety problem, but I feel as if this summer has given me one. 

• Posted

Hi Anthony  You said, " I was told by every doctor to be a bad stomach virus."

I was put on Prilosec and then Zantac and have been this way for almost 3 months. I have now been experiencing massive amounts of fatigue almost the same time everyday, and I also sometimes feel like I have vertigo or just extreme trouble focusing."

First of all, if you have a stomach virus, the Dr needs to know whether it is bacterial or viral. You should have been put on antibiotics for a virus, as well as the Prilosec.  Have you been tested for H-pylori? This is one tough

stomach bug and they can use a breath test to determine if you have it.  It requires two antibiotics.  So you may want to ask about H-pylori.  Let's hope you don't have it.  It is curable, I've had it before.  

About the Vertigo, have you been seen by an ENT ? Ear, nose, & throat Doctor.  They can test you for Vertigo and if that's what it is, they can hopefully treat and put an end to your dizziness. They can do an Eply manuever which is a type of physical therapy for your inner ear by movement of your neck. There are medications to help with dizziness too.  All of this wondering and waiting to see what you have creates a lot of Stress.  Now take a deep breath, and calmly write down your symptoms.  Take the Vitamin D as prescribed. Get some blood work done to check for vitamin B deficiency.  Try to go to bed and get up at the same time.  If you still think that you may have MS, a lumbar puncture will check your spinal fluid and serum for O bands.  You can also have a cervical MRI or thoracic MRI as this will show if there are any lesions on your spine.  As I mentioned, take a deep breath, and calmly write down your symptoms. Then make the appointment with the ENT.  If still needed, see another neurologist and discuss all of your concerns.  Finally, if you do end up with MS, it's not the end of the world Anthony.  You see, I have it too.  cool  Best wishes my friend  Stay Strong and Positive ~ Take Care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.