Stomach issues induced by Aspirin

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I'm really feeling stuck without answers I'm waiting to get a few tests in mean time was hoping someone may relate to my situation.

I have been taking Aspirin daily at high does due to chronic pain for a very long time.

one week ago I was eating a sandwich and half way through the sandwich the food started to come back up into my esophagus.

I had bad nausea and tightness in my left upper stomach.

I seen a doctor and she said it was from Aspirin so I stopped taking Aspirin it's been 8 days now without Aspirin .

my worry and confusion is will this terrible reflux and lump in my throat feeling go away if I continue staying of Aspirin ?

anyone have any experience in this ?

thanks .

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

you probobly need an endescopy to determine if you have gerd for which ppi meds are prescribed

• Posted

You don't need an endoscopy to diagnose GERD. I have GERD and an endoscopy didn't show it up.

• Posted

Stay off asprin as your doctor recommends and wait and see if the problem goes away. If your doctors says it was asprin that caused it, take his word for it. Do you feel any better eight days off asprin? Asprin can cause stomach irritation.

• Posted

hi Pippa

Thanks for replying , I haven't taken Aspirin for 8 days today but i still have the symptoms , I was really hoping that it would of gone away by now so im really upset .

do you think it could take longer to heal or should it of gone away by now after 8 day of Aspirin

• Posted

It is possible that the irritation could take longer to heal as everyone is different but I cannot be absolutely certain of this because I am not a doctor and I don't know whether the side effects should have gone after eight days free of Asprin. Your best bet is to see your doctor if you continue to feel unwell. Your doctor will reassure you and help to resolve your worries. However, try not to feel upset, because anxiety can irritate your gut too. Drug side effects are very common. In the meantime, try some milk to soothe your stomach. I'm sorry I can't be of more help; I couldn't find any answers to your questions when I googled it.

• Posted

thanks pippa

that's really sweet to Google for me

I'm having a barium swallow test tomorrow at 9am it should help clear up this more for me knowing what damage is done

I'm nervous about the test I hope the barium drink doesnt make me unwell but I really have to do the test

I suffer from OCD and panic disorder so that is not helping this situation at all but it's super hard to switch off with OCD..

thanks heaps for replying to me

• Posted

Hopefully, you will get some answers. Tell your doctor about your worries about the barium; they may be able to give you something after the test to ease your stomach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.