Stomach issues on top of stomach issues...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today I get the 2nd set of 5 results of scans done on my torso and I have a sinking suspicion that I will not have an answer to what the heck is going on. It's been an ongoing issue with my stomach for years but this past couple has been steadily worse. I have streamlined my diet until there is literally nowhere else for me to go beside intravenous feeding!! I am not only Vegan but Lichen Free and still, I am experiencing flares and GI issues!

I cannot tell you how entirely frustrating this is! Especially coming from someone who is now making all her own food (I am not a cook) and I have little energy or desire to do it but would rather order a pizza and drink wine or sit and eat nachos all day. This has been a complete lifestyle change for me. I have seen a great deal of improvement in my skin and my overall health but my stomach is the last to respond. This last flare has left me where my little of my food is not being absorbed properly along with pain. Anyway, thanks for giving me a place to vent. If you suffer from Sjogren's GI issues I use a smoothie drink of kale, berries, and parsley (you can freeze these so they don't spoil because they are expensive) that helps with inflammation,

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a Gastric Emptying Study/Scintigraphy (GES) done? 

I had Gastroparesis confirmed via a GES in 2009 and have been on prokinetics - more specifically Domperidone, ever since. I find Domperidone amazing, however it depends on what part of the world you live in as to whether it is approved for use.

For the first five years of having Gastroparesis I could only consume a totally liquid diet (along with the Domperidone) however as the years have gone by I can now eat more solid food, albeit in small amounts. 

I will be interested to know whether delayed gastric motility or something similar is confirmed. Let us know.

• Posted

I think domperidone (leading brand name Mo til ium) is still available on prescription in most parts of the world. You used to be able to get it OTC all over Europe, including UK, till there was a ridiculous panic a few years back when about four people in France died of heart arrhythmias after taking it. My GP in Belgium happily prescribes it for me twice a year, always specifying a cheaper generic rather than the big name brand. (This medication is not covered by our NHS so I have to pay for it.)

I actually take it for my occasional attacks of GERD. The GP says there's no reason why it should work for that - though it was in fact another GP who advised taking it for GERD 20 years ago, and it always seems to do the trick for me. I wouldn't be without the stuff, it clears the central chest pain in about 15 minutes. He's fine with prescribing it though, as he says it's pretty harmless as long as you don't abuse it, and he can't see what all the fuss was about.

Incidentally - people might need to be careful about not confusing the brand name Mo til ium with diarrhoea remedy Im od ium. My old mum used to do that. She lived in the UK back in the day when you could get it OTC, but only under the big-name brand. She insisted on taking it for her frequent attacks of diarrhoea with disastrous resultsrolleyes. (Hope I get away with this post!)

• Posted

Good question and one that I had myself! This is one that I'm having done next week and an endoscope the first part of next month. I'll be posting results. Thanks for replying.

• Posted

Have you tried Digestive aids. They have worked for me. I take a bunch of Mega-Zymes.
  • Posted

I have added peptides and live probiotics. Today's test showed liver, pancreas, and lungs clear so did 2 more tests with 2 to take home. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

I have been dx'd with Gastric Dumping Syndrome, which is the rapid emptying of largely undigested food particles into the small intestines may lead to a host of complications including nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypoglycemia, tachyarrhythmia and disturbances in consciousness. Also confirmed was Gastroparesis in my lower intestines. 

• Posted

I have just read your message from 3 months ago updating us on your Dumping Syndrome diagnosis. If you are still on this board, I'm wondering how you are getting on? What dietary or medication management changes have been implemented to help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.