Stomach pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone experience lower stomach discomfort taking this medication?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yes I did amongst other side effects but discussed it with th dr who discontinued the medication , I had only taken 15 mgms as well.

• Posted

It’s a lower abdominal pressure that I feel. Is this what you experienced?
    • Posted

I can't be sure now but I know the drug just upset everything . It causes spasms so it can do anything is my opinion. I would ring 111 to have a full assessment and to get some reassurance. .

• Posted

How long ago did you start this medicine? I’ve been taking it for a few years but recently went off and back on then increased my dose. I had terrible side effects at first, now I just have dizziness and fatigue. I don’t have lower stomach pains but it can cause bowel issues I read as one of the side effects. I have constipation regularly and I wonder if it’s due to the medicine. 
    • Posted

Hi Sara:

I too have lower abd (not stomach but below my navel) discomfort and terrible pain when gas is trapped.  I also feel fatigued and light headed but I'm managing.  It's the dry mouth (do you experience that) and the hard stool that are difficult for me to deal with.  No question that the med causes constipation -- it's listed by the manufacturer as one of the major side effects.

How do you handle the constipation you experience?    Plus, are you taking blood pressure meds?   Do you experience dry mouth?

• Posted

Yes Todd, I do.  I've been taking Cymbalta 30 mgs and 20 mgs split up during the day for at least 4 months.  There are many side effects that come and go and cramping in lower abd is one of them.  Just when I think I've gotten thru all the side effects, a few come back but don't stay long like nausea, feeling light headed, terrible DRY MOUTH and HARD STOOL but it's been a wonder med for me because it lifts my depression (it's a real mood changer), diminishes and almost completely relieves my anxiety (altho, I still take xanax to ward off panic attacks) and it diminishes the pain from my frozen left shoulder.  When I see the doc next I'm going to ask him to up my dose to 60 mgs or two 30s per day.  The caps are delayed release and it takes about a hour for the positive effects to be felt but in my case it wears off within 4-5 hours after that thus the need for a twice a day dose.  

You didn't mention how long you have been taking the med. or the dose but be assured that there are side effects that you never expect but all of them are manageable.  For me the dry mouth is a real issue but otherwise, I'm really happy with this med and I've taken so many others previously that gave me all the nasty side effects and never worked as well as Cymbalta.

Hope you are feeling better.  My best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Frazzled, thanks for responding.

I’ve only been taking it for about a week now. I take 30mg per day. 

I feel the pressure just like you mentioned down below my belly button almost I’m my pelvic area.

• Posted

hi Todd I have PM a link to a forum that deals with Cymbalta. Cymbalta Hurts Worse. It is a dedicated website and is very informative about this nasty drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.