STOMACH PAIN AFER EATING

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have a son age 22 for about 18 months every time he drank alchol 2 days later he was rolling in pain it used to come and go now its gotten to the stage when hes eats food after about a hour hes getting terrible stomach pain we took him to a&e they done a x-ray and a cat scan said he had a inflamed bowel and said they think its crohnes diseases ? also hes getting night sweats   but hes no diarrhea they gave him steroids and other medication thats hes been taking for 3 weeks with no improvement hes waiting for a colonoscopy in 3 weeks i cut advised him to cut all wheat out for a few days he said he was feeling a little better than last night he had eaten a piece if steak and he was rolling around all night again in pain ? i would be greatful on any comments to what this might be would a stomach ulcer show up on a cat scan ??

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

I'm not a doctor but it sounds like he has gout. If the explosive pains are worse with alcohol and red meat those are the primary triggers for gout. A friend of mine had it and he would suffer horrible after drinking and red meat. First he was treated for IBS and it didn't work. Just another option to research and mention to the doctor... I hope he feels better soon.

• Posted

I know you are waiting for more testing to be done... He may have other issues going on. Gout can affect different areas. To be honest I'm not sure about the stomach. Like I said some additional research might be a good idea before he sees the doctor. Make a list of questions and be as prepared as you can.

• Posted

He needs an endoscopy of the upper GI.  Also, his liver may be affected because the liver processes alchohol and other toxins from our blood.  If it's not working well, it can't process these from the body.  Ask for an MRI or CT scan of the liver. Take a good probiotic daily, drink ginger chamomile tea.  Eat a clean diet...no meat, no dairy, no gluten.  

• Posted

Hi Natalie

I have had a long history of Gastric issues - and - as it happens Gout.

Along with a close association with the Medical profession.

First of all, your son's problem has abolutely nothing to do with Gout.

What I find slightly difficult to understand is why the Doctors seem to have concentrated on the lower part of the Alimentary Canal eg Colonoscopy - possible Crohn's disease etc etc.

Your son must have presented himself with symptoms other than those you mention which seem to be more associated with the stomach.

A Gatric Ulcer will show up on an XRay following a Barium meal.

If, as you say, your son is suffering from stomach pain rather than abdominal pain he needs an Endoscopy rather than a Colonoscopy.

He should lay off acohol for the time being and smoking is an absolute No No. And no spicey foods or diet for the moment.

If he takes Antacid tablets such as Calcium Carbonate or Gaviscom does he get relief ?

• Posted

PS

You can now buy Nexium ( a very potent antacid) over the counter at Pharmacists.

It is not likely that any of these antacids will heal Stomach damage in themselves. But if stomach acid is aggravating an underlaying problem they will relieve pain and point directly to where the issue lays. As I say, if pain is in the stomach, and Endoscopy is required to look at the problem.

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your reply he's been suffering on and off for about 18 months but it's all ways been with stomach pain but NOW its

worse after he's eaten food about 1 - 2 hours my self I thought he endoscopy should have been done but after they done a cat scan it showed he's bowel was inflamed so they give the diagnosed with chrones he has drank no alcohol for the last 2 months would a Ulcer show up on a cat scan ? I have ask him to cut all wheat from he's diet he did feel a bit better so I thought it might be a wheat intolerance. But he then ate a peice of steak and after about 1 hour he was in Cronic pain again ? He doesn't take any think like gavisom. They have Put him on 8 week course of steroids also a tablet 4 times a day octasa 800 mg and also a tablet to put a coating on he's stomach when we went to a&e he was taken in with Cronic stomach pains

• Posted

Natalie I am bewildered. And I have been dealing with Gastric issues for many many years.

There must be some reason why they are dealing with the Colon and ignoring very obvious Stomach problems. (I accept they have found inflammation in the Colon)

Look I think there are two things for you to do. And one is very simple.

Get some Calcium Carbonate tablets from Boots. Take three tablets when pain occurs. If pain is relieved fairly rapidly and there is some burping then he certainly does have a Stomach problem which requires attention. The alternative to Calcium Carbonate is Gaviscon or any ant acid. Nexium is also available which will reduce acid concentration very

effectively but will not be quite so immediate as an antacid.

The other thing to do is to ask why an Endoscopy has not been considered and if necessary demand that it should be done.

Best of luck

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I will see that he gets them

ASAP and let you know once again thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.