Stomach pain after endoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had an endoscopy 6 days ago. The night of the procedure I experienced a lot of stomach discomfort. I would describe it similar to the pain you get from trapped gas. However it has persisted for 4 days then began to disappear. Then last night it came back and I have had it all day. It woke me up last night and occasionally I get really sharp pains. I am assuming this is somewhat normal - it must happen sometimes, although a lot of the information online suggests you should experience no pain. My stools are pretty normal - no blood or anything like that. Can anyone advise? I have some other chronic health issues so I am not looking to add another one to the list! Thank you.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It does sound as if it's just a continuation of the usual reaction to the air that's pumped into the stomach during the procedure. If you're not having black, foul-smelling, sticky diarrhoea (which is how digested blood in the stool presents) then it's highly unlikely there's anything wrong. You might, however, want to discuss this with your doctor.

• Posted

Hi lily thank you. That eases my concerns smile. The pain is similar to trapped gas
  • Posted

Hi this is the second endoscopy I have had the first 1 I was sedated and never felt anything afterwards I was fine no pains or gas or anything but the second endoscopy I was sedated again but it mustn't of worked as could feel everything and now I have really bad gas burping and the other way haha but now I have really bad pains so bad like labour pains the endoscopy department is closed at the minute I phoned 111 and thy told me to wait for the department to reopen I am rocking on my bed in pain do you think I should leave it till spoken to the department or phone 999

• Posted

Jacqui, call 999. It's probably not too serious but you can't be sure, and in any case the doctors have to face up to this relatively common problem.

• Posted

Well its the next day and omg all I have done is vomit all day there was blood in 1 and like pink in the second and now just vomiting my belly is so sore and hard I phoned 111 and thy wanted to send an ambulance but the paramedic phoned me and sed he thinks I should speak to a doctor. The doctor phoned me within 10 mins he sed this was 3.10 pm he said if no better by 7 pm then he says to ring back 111 or ring 999 I don't want to bother anyone so have just grined and beared it but belly still hard now and bloated it is now 1.04 am

• Posted

Jacqui, call 999 not 111. The latter is useless. I'm a former NHS nurse.

It may be that this is nothing serious, but you do need to be seen urgently, just in case.

• Posted

Hi with u saying u were a nurse thy have told me thy have found I have gastritis and something called h pylori could that be why I have been vomiting all today I have not had the biopsy results yet but thy said thy are 80% sure I have this. What is it and how did I get it I have also been getting eggy sulphur burps for weeks before I had this test thy would say come on Monday stay till Tuesday and come back again on Friday xx
    • Posted

Hi Jacqui,

I can't diagnose you, but gastritis and H pylori could both cause pain and vomiting. However, in this case they would already have been causing problems before the gastroscopy. I can't see why they would suddenly cause such extreme symptoms now.

Eggy sulphur burps are more likely to be a symptom of intestinal obstruction, or at least extreme constipation, rather than gastric problems. You clearly need more tests.

If your current symptoms don't clear up in a couple of hours I'd strongly suggest calling an ambulance.

• Posted

Apart from the vomiting I had the pains before went the doctor and she said I had gastritis and gave me ranitidine for it plus I have been getting other pains in my lower right side and have been admitted to a and e many times as the pain was like labour pains and thy could not find out what was wrong with me as my bloods were normal thy hospital was the one who wanted me to have the endoscopy whilst there thy told me thy have taken a biopsy and think yes I deffo have the gastritis and thy think its this h pylori thing also I have up to now stopped vomiting but if I start again I will deffo go hospital was not sure if the vomiting was because of the endoscopy or because of what thy found xx
  • Posted

Apart from the vomiting I had the pains before went the doctor and she said I had gastritis and gave me ranitidine for it plus I have been getting other pains in my lower right side and have been admitted to a and e many times as the pain was like labour pains and thy could not find out what was wrong with me as my bloods were normal thy hospital was the one who wanted me to have the endoscopy whilst there thy told me thy have taken a biopsy and think yes I deffo have the gastritis and thy think its this h pylori thing also I have up to now stopped vomiting but if I start again I will deffo go hospital was not sure if the vomiting was because of the endoscopy or because of what thy found xx
    • Posted

Jacqui, I had frequent episodes of intestinal obstruction from the age of about 10 up to 29, and was hospitalised four times because of this. I totally recognise your description of terrible abdominal pains, as well as the "eggy burps". It's good that they've done a gastroscopy, but this won't show what's going on in your intestines. I'd strongly suggest that at some point you try and get a colonoscopy (other end) as well.

In my case, I finally figured out what was causing the episodes of obstruction - poor diet - and put it right. You might find it helps to increase fibre in your diet, but not till you've recovered from the after-effects of the gastroscopy. Chronic intestinal obstruction can cause back-pressure to the stomach and produce gastritis.

• Posted

I also had gallstones and I was put on a diet to compensate this I have since had them removed about 3-4 years ago but I stayed with the diet thy put me on low fat high in fiber thy have told me my next move could be a camera up that end lol but I am positive all my problems started when I got sterilized it was something called esure I was fully awake thy go up ur lady parts and put clamps on all done. But since this I have now developed chronic idiopathic urticaria. Fibromyalgia plantar fasheitius can not spell that bit lol and have IBS had these pains since then even after the gallbladder removal every time I end up in Ozzy as pains r like labour pains wind pains and period pain all rolled together I have had every test MRI scans xrays going but thy could not find anything I am surprised I am not radioactive haha
    • Posted

It says u replied but can not find it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.