Stomach pain and bloating for 5 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - does anyone have any experience of constant low grade stomach pain with bloating that is not changing even though on lactose free, gluten/wheat free diet? Everthing else is normal.

I do suffer from IBS, but that is normally short - lived if I eat the wrong food. This is there 24/7!

I stopped my Omeprazole as someone told me that can cause the symtoms I am having.

Really struggling to know what is the cause!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

sugar, sweeteners, carbonated drinks, fruit juices and alcohol can cause bloating. Have you looked at the low fodmap diet? If you live in the UK deflatine is quite good for bloating. If you are having gluten free bread, that can bloat some people. They put loads of additives and preservatives in it and unless you have an allergy or intolerance to wheat or gluten, you will probably have less issues with regular bread. Always read the ingredient list.

If you are not taking omeprazole and you are still having symptoms you can rule out that being the cause. I recently tried to cut down taking my ppis and have had loads of stomach problems, some people do need to take them every day, you should discuss that with your doctor before stopping altogether.

• Posted

thank you- that's interesting about the gluten free bread-for years I ate normal bread and was fine!

• Posted

My IBS symptoms were 24/7 before diagnosis because I was stressing about what was wrong and no doctor could help me. If you are worrying about the cause of your IBS, this can make your symptoms constant, Try concentrating on the things you enjoy and this will help to take your mind off your stomach. When you are not thinking about your symptoms, your IBS will subside. I found during my first flare up of three and a half months, when I was with friends, my symptoms got better, but when I was at home and stressing about what was causing my pain, my symptoms came back. My flare up lasted three and a half months because I was so stressed.

Try an antispasmodic or painkillers to keep the pain under control and try to stay as calm as possible. When your medication starts to clear up your pain, it will help you to worry less about it. IBS can be triggered by stress as well as food. Monitor your stress levels. Stress is a major factor in IBS. Have you had any recent stressful incidents? If you have, this could be the cause on top of worrying about your prolonged flare up.

• Posted

thank you-I am trying not to worry about it and you're right, when I'm busy, I do forget about it.

I'm seeing the consultant on Tuesday so will report back.

• Posted

Your consultant will probably also tell you that controlling stress levels is the key to managing your IBS. The fact that you find keeping busy helps your symptoms means you have found the solution that will help you.

• Posted

Hormones can also make IBS worse; I experienced this when my periods made my IBS far more painful. This symptom is quite common in women with IBS. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have a gnaecological problem.

• Posted

Hi Deb4444

Have you considered your symptoms from a different angle other than a digestion problems? Bloating can also be caused by other conditions such as gynaecolgical problems, such as pain, ovarian cysts, fibroids and hormone related problems. Have you had an Ultrasound scan of your uterine area and been tested for abnormal levels of the hormones oestrogen and progesterone..is your menstrual cycle ok. These are alternative suggestions for you to consider other than digestion and IBS issues......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.