Stomach pain and frequent urination

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had OAB for years and tried everything imaginable. The last thing I did was have a pessiary put in for prolapse and doing PTNS. This seemed to work well for a few months.For the past few weeks I've had some good days, but most bad days. Pressure and pain in stomach and always feel like I have to go. Sometimes a few drops come out. I'm better when I'm off my feet. Called the Dr today and she put me on a med . Will see me after I finish this med. I'm sure she will suggest botox or bulking. This is really getting to me

I'm 80 years old and she said surgery might not work.The urologist said I had cystitis. I wonder if it could be IC?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann Marie , yes its possible. Have you gone to a urologist. They can test you and see, in the mean time cut out anything that has acid in it. No alcohol, no caffine, or chocolate. Try this and see if it helps. I would definitely go to an urologist and get it confirmed if it is. Good luck. Hope this helped some.
    • Posted

I had been to a urologist and he did a cytology and said I had cystitis. It was not cancer.He gave me these patches and another med for overactive bladder.Nothing really helped.My gyn started me on PTNS. I went for 3 months and then on maintenance for 6. Thought I had found the answer as I have one more treatment on maintenance and then this happened. I feel like I'm.back where I started a year ago.

• Posted

Btw, I don't drink coffee, alcohol. Chocolate, etc etc.

• Posted

Hi Annmarie, I’m sorry to read of the pain and discomfort you’re in.  What are the meds called that you’re taking?  Also with the PTNS you should really be having monthly top-up sessions to keep it working.  I’m not sure they’ve been putting the needle in the right place with me! I think it’s helping a bit but no dramatic improvement sadly.  You could well have IC but there are other things it could be and IC is still relatively uncommon. (Probably why most doctors don’t think of it or understand it) you need a good urologist to get a diagnosis.  Remember to drink lots of water - not excessively - I try to drink one small glass every hour.  Contrary to our natural inclinations it really does help to calm the bladder - once the first few days are over as you will pee a lot at first if, like me, you don’t drink enough generally.  I hope things improve for you soon.
    • Posted

It's used for overactive bladder. It's a form of acupuncture and it stimulates the nerves in the bladder. I don't know if it helps with pressure or pain. You can look it up on line and it will give you all info.

• Posted

Hi Pam,  PTNS stands for percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation - it’s used alongside (not instead of) medication and diet to treat bladder problems.  A very fine acupuncture needle in placed in the skin just above the ankle and attached to a nerve stimulation device (bit like a tens machine) for half an hour for 12 weekly sessions.  It has a high success rate with urgency and stress incontinence making you feel the need to pee less often, especially at night.  It interferes with the nerve signals sent from the bladder to the brain.  It does help with all bladder misbehaviour symptoms but it’s not a cure - if it works you have monthly top up sessions.  It has helped me but as they were putting the needle in the wrong place for the first 8 sessions I’m almost having to start again!  I think it’s well worth having though. 
    • Posted

Where do you get the ptns treatments, and buy the tens machine and do they show you how to do it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.