stomach pain and persistent cough

Posted , 4 users are following.

so i’ve been having this persistent, hacking cough for around a year now and it’s currently at its worst. the coughs would wrack my entire entire forward and i would, almost all the time, vomit a little in my mouth. sounds gross but i swallow the vomit most of the time, i don’t really wanna be caught puking all over a sidewalk because of a cough.

these coughs really hurt my stomach for some reason? i think maybe the muscles are strained or something but whenever i cough my stomach feels really painfully sore. also ever since i started coughing till i started vomiting, there’s this persistent burning pain in my stomach that’s really disruptive. it sometimes gets so bad i have to get into a foetal position. recently it’s been flaring up especially badly every night before i sleep. i’ve also experienced appetite and weight loss.

i don’t know what’s wrong and i’m in constant pain every day. it’s bad to the point where i’m afraid to eat because i know i might cough vomit it up, and the more i eat the more my stomach hurts, from both the coughing and the burning. i’ve lost around ten kilograms in two months.

i’ve seen a few doctors but none provided me a diagnosis on my stomach. i’d been diagnosed with bronchitis around February this year but it was never this severe, and the meds doctors gave were never effective.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Coughing can strain your ribs and stomach muscles. There are two possibilities: either you have acid reflux since you have had a burning stomach and a cough which can also occur with reflux, or you have a chest infection. Go back to your doctor and ask for a chest X Ray to see if you are having recurrent bronchitis.

• Posted

it sounds like you need an endoscopy and a chest CT with contrast and possibly a stomach CT with contrast. A cough for over a year needs to be investigated. Do you or have you smoked? If you have or do, this can not only cause damage to your lungs, but also your stomach also. A chest Xray only shows up a small amount of things and can miss many problems. coughing until you are vomiting and being doubled up in pain needs really looking into also especially as you have lost so much weight. You need to see a gastroenterologist for your stomach and a pulmonologist for your chest. Don't be afraid to ask for second opinions.

• Posted

hi! firstly, i do not smoke, so that's out of the way. secondly, ive gotten those procedures done before and got meds for indigestion that stopped working after a week 😦 meds for coughing also never really helped.

i'm thinking maybe it might actually be a stomach problem? because swallowing my vomit may have damaged my stomach and throat? i'm actually not really sure 😕//

• Posted

how long ago did you get the endoscopy? you can develop gastritis and oesophagitis quite quickly particularly if you are vomiting a lot. You could possibly have h pylori.

Is your cough producing phlegm and if so what colour is it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.