Stomach pain for days followed by bile acid diarrhea

Posted , 5 users are following.

This has been happening for over a year now. About once or twice a month I'll have bouts where I will have stomach pain/bloating with a severe headache and foggy headedness. It will be like this for 48-72 hours. It completes its cycle either after I vomit bile (very bitter and burns badly) or I have bile acid diarrhea (its as painful as it sounds). Several months ago I had my gallbladder removed as we found it was barely functioning and hoping that would resolve my stomach issues. It didn't fix it.

I think its something related to stomach lining, specifically after I took hydrocodone daily for back pain for several months. Before that, I could eat anything spicy, drink alcohol, softdrinks, and coffee. Since then, if I have anything slightly spicy (including table pepper) or if I eat ginger or peppermint or drink a softdrink (even sprite or 7-up), it will trigger my stomach/bile issue. Coffee causes a strong pain all across my upper intestines. Alcohol will wake me up in the middle of the night with acid reflux up through my esophagus. Its really frustrating going from being able to eat anything 2 years ago to having one of the most bland diets. I'm 35 years old, normal blood tests and weigh165 pounds (74 kg). I don't know if all the issues are related, but by far the worst are the bile related ones. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas what this could be? Its interfering with many areas of my life now and l have an appointment with my gastro doctor in a few weeks, but I really would like any suggestions or ideas of any kind that people think could be causing this.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You may have a condition called Bile Acid Malabsorption which causes diarrhoea.  It is common after gallbladder removal.  It is diagnosed by a SECHAT scan and can be treated with meds that bind your bile salts.

The pain meds you took may have irritated your stomach lining and caused gastritis. Since bile is involved it could be bile gastritis.  An endoscopy would pick this up.

• Posted

ditto exactly what pippa said. i have bile acid malabsorption & am on a med called colestyramine which largely controls it (although i am having a sevre ibs (d) flare for the last 5wks). ask your gastro consultant or doc for the sehcat test to diagnose it & then they can put you on the med.  it IS still possible to have this condition even if gall bladder has been removed as your body still produces bile acid - your gall bladder was just the "storage tank". x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.