Stomach Pain on Losartan

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I have been on Losartan 25mg for about 4 months now. My stomach hurts pretty much all the time, sometimes worse than others, but all the time. I really started about the time I started taking the Losartan. 

My question for those who have had stomach issues with Losartan, any dosage size. What does the stomach pain feel like? Where is it located? Etc......My refills are about up so I plan on scheduling a follow up appointment with my GP in the next month or so, and may look at changing the medication to something else.

Just looking to get peoples thoughts on what the pain feels like, but all comments are for sure welcome.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

The Losartan-class drugs are not really known for stomach problems, when you talk to the doctor he may look at other things as well.
    • Edited

That's interesting everything I read says stomach problems are one of the main side effects.

• Posted

Most medications show stomach pain as a side effect. I took Losartan for about 14 years as it was the only one that did not give me any side effects but we are all different.
    • Posted

I agree most medications list that, and we are all different. I never seemed to have problems with medications until I started taking blood pressure medicine now the two I have tried have given me some type of issue, I just hate going in every couple of months and having to discuss new medications. It sucks.
    • Posted

Four months is more than long enough to take one ttha doesn't suit you. I had five different ones prior to Losartan and Verapamil that both suited me.

The earlier ones gave me much worse problems than stomach pain.

• Posted

This is only my second one, I was taking Lisinopril first, and it made me want to cough up a lung, so here I am now with persistent stomach discomfort, nothing bad I can live with it, but honestly it sucks, and it all started about the same time I started taking the Losartan.
    • Posted

Any with 'pril' in the name did not suit me. It gave me a rash. I went to  a dermatologist and he said 'Drug induced rash, what medications are you taking" Stop Lisinopril and it will be gone in two weeks. 

• Posted

The only ACE/ARB I've taken is olmesartan, and for me it has been pretty good, maybe a little dry cough that could be related, but there was some kind of a lawsuit about even this one so YMMV.

I'm mostly off my BP meds now, lost a little weight, and some other changes, so haven't needed it.

By any chance, have you tried just a smaller dose?  And how has it been working for your BP?

• Posted

It depends on how the body reacts to the drug. Its important to eat right and eat healthy. Stomach pain is harder to assess than the sides and back of the body. Stomach pain could be the drugs effect on the body or infection of some sort. Watch what you eat and stay away from high sugar. I think its likely either muscle problems or a type of infection.

• Posted

hi all, a bit late to the party but here goes. 50mg losartan, stomach ache, bloated and some diarrhoea. only been on them two weeks, fourth type of bp med. i also get a lot if burping and wind so a joy to be around. Awaiting blood tests to make sure nothing else is going on, but will look to either change dose and/or combine with something else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.