Stomach pain plus I feel like my food is still not digesting

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having food poisoning symptoms for two days (Sunday evening till now, Tueday afternoon [I live in Hong Kong]) such as diarrhea, weakness, indigestion, vomiting. Although most of the diarrhea symptoms are gone and I no longer have intestinal/abdominal pain, I think my stomach is still not digesting food but I'm not sure. 

I woke up this morning feeling a lot of pain in my stomach, the type of pain you get when you don't eat for too long and it feels like your stomach had starting digesting itself. I thought that was a good sign that my stomach acid was working again, since the previous day, I had been in incredible discomfort due to the amount of gas that was building in my stomach and making me feel weak and queazy (until I vomited and all of the semi-digested stuff came out). So I thought that I could eat normally again so I ate a pancake this morning. But for some reason it feels like my stomach is getting bloated again as I'm feeling similar discomfort that I felt the previous day before I had vomited. But if my stomach is still not digesting food, why did my stomach hurt the way I decribed this morning as if my stomach acid is working again. Any ideas? Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

For a start stop eating anything, you probabaly have a virus, boiled water only, cooled, nothing with sugar in it.

For about 2 days until your tumm settles, you will feel hungry, drink some more water.

Then start with a little milk, see how that goes, then add some eggs, poached, stay away from anything too heavy or anything with sugar in it.

Rice would be a good second meal, only a small amount, give your tumm a chance to heal up.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. Yea, I definitely should have done what you said yesterday which would have avoided the bloating and vomiting. Before I read this I had actually eaten a banana because my stomach actually started feeling better, it felt like it had passed on the pancake I ate in the morning and the stomach pain that I get when my it is too empty came back so I ate the banana hoping my stomach was actually digesting. Its been about 2-3 hours since I ate the banana and I feel pretty ok, but still weak and I don't have much of an appetite.

• Posted

If you had food poisoning, it takes time for your stomach to settle depending on the bacteria that poisoned you.  Maybe you started eating normally too soon.  Try taking very bland foods to start with and reintroduce normal eating patterns slowly.  Milk is a very good stomach settler to start with as it is bland and soaks up acid.

I had a stomach upset last night which was either caused by constipation, a bug, food that disagreed with me or an IBS flare up   Milk calmed my stomach down and stopped me vomiting.

• Posted

Hmm... I definitely think milk is a no go for me as I'm lactose-intolerant. But, one time when my friend had food poisoning, her doctor told her not to take any dairy.

• Posted

I suppose it depends on the doctor you speak to because often they tell you different things.  It is a shsme if you are lactose intolerant as it adds in more complications.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.