stomach pain, severe but no diagnosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've had severe stomach pain which seems to happen about once a month,sometimes twice. It is upper abdominal, I have a high pain threshold, this pain reduces me to tears every time I get it. There's is no trigger but the symptoms start the same. Around 5pm I will get a stomach pain that starts off dull similar to if you were really hungry, progressing each hour until you 10pm it's at it peak I can barely move no position can be made comfortable no tablet for acid or pain relief (tramadol) touches it. It keeps me up all night and symptoms dissappear around 7 am as if it never happened. I've had this for 5 years,  doctors diagnosed me with IBS although no symptoms are similar and there is certainly no relief in emptying my bowels. I've had blood tests for liver, all stomach functions, allergys and infections all negative. Every time I get pain I go to a&e as pain is so severe I feel as if something inside me has ruptured, shot I feel light headed due to pain. Despite all this doctors at a&e send me home with co-codaml and tell me to go see my doctor. I have been about 20 times in last year to be giving more anti acids which don't work. Can anybody help who has had similar symptoms it is affecting my quality of life as I feel something is seriously wrong in my abdomen and I'm being passed off as one doctor told me 'your in your 20s your not old enough for serious health problems,  you look well and people that are ill don't look well the look ill' yeah doctor you should see me at 3 am rolling around my floor in pain! 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

the timing of the stomach pain seems to point to something as if it is all scheduled according to what though
  • Posted

This is the closest I've found to anything similar to my symptoms.

Diagnosed with UC 18 months ago and had it splendidly under control.  This summer I thought I had a stomach bug, turns out it was a parasite.  Apparently OTC meds worked for that but ever since (every 3 weeks), I get desperately sick.

The pain is unlike anything I've encountered-and I've had post op infections and 10 months of gallbladder attacks with no pain medication.  This is so bad i nearly passed out time.

I get a sharp pain laterally, just above my pubic bone, and straight down my abdomen.  The only way to describe it is: it feels like a freshly stitched wound-raw-that has been pummeled and simultaneously torn down the center.

This is accompanied by relentless vomiting.  Even when there's nothing on my stomach.  This lasts from 3-12 hours.  Every time I have to go to the ER for saline (dehydration) and pain medication.

A GI test shows extraordinarily high levels of ecoli, but no darned Dr. will listen to me.

The "UC" symptoms began 18 months ago after a severe bout of food poisoning (Thai).  After getting sick from the food, I was so swollen I looked pregnant.  Vomiting.   They don't care about that either.

I'm aware I may have an AI issue

But no one will listen to me when I say this is a different issue.  

I am at my wit's end-a GI and Infectious disease Dr have proven fruitless and frankly incompetent.

I can't even hold down a job at the moment.  I'm currently out of commission for at least one week a month.  Oh- and it's not related to anything gynecological.

Hoping my GP can shed some light he's pretty knowledgeable. 

Has anyone encountered anything like this?  

• Posted

Sounds like gall stones. I remember i was 5 months pregnant and had this weird pain in my stomach i thought i was going into labor. But i didnt wanna wake my parents up so i waited to see if it would go away and it did in 15 min. Then one time I was in my sis room and i felt the pain it started from the middle of my abdomen to my back and i was in agony i think i went to the hospital but they didnt find anything and they assumed it was my baby pushing my stomach. So i had her. And still the pain continued. It was so painful. I would have to stretch to make the pain go away. I remember one particular night it got soo bad. I couldnt even turn to the side. I had taken my ibuprofen and nothing. I was in so much pain i couldnt even eat a yogurt my mom gave me. She told me tell your bro to take you to the hospital and he did. And turned out i had gall stones my gallbladder was full of them. So they recommended me a gall bladder removal. I accepted cuz the pain was horrendous. And i still get a bit of stomach pain but its nothing compared to that one! Sp i say it's gallstones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.