stomach pain that gets better when I lie down

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, no idea if I'm posting this in the right place but I'm hoping to find some answers.

My stomach hurts sometimes. Upper abdomen (below my chest but above my belly button, spread out in the center), a few times a year. It's a dull (but sharp when I breathe in or out) pain that lasts a few hours to a day or two.

When I lie down, it goes away almost completely, and I can finally breathe in and out without pain (except for a very sharp pain if I suck in all the way). However, it returns almost as soon as I stand up, and generally stops after a few hours.

This has been happening since I was 9 (so not cramps), and the only pattern I notice is that it happens more often when I'm flying/traveling (but not always). It's happening right now, which is why I'm asking, but the last time it happened was July 21, 2018. Before that, March 2017, but there's probably one or two I'm forgetting.

Any ideas of what this could be? I don't have any other known medical concerns.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Considering this has been going on since you were 9, which i presuming would be a number of year now, then i can see it being anything too serious, if it were you would know about by now. As was suggested it could be trapped with, which believe me can be very painful. It could be a number of other things, food intolerance, hernia, ulcers, to name a few, but as you experience no other issues then its unlikely to be any of these. Best idea would be to seek the advice of your doctor and get a diagnosis.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Are you having trouble with constipation/diarrhoea or loose urgent stools? Do you have the pain after eating? Since it happens after travelling/flying , do you think it could be linked to stress? Two causes could be gastritis or IBS. Try a food diary and monitor stress levels to identify a pattern to your pain. Both these conditions are strongly linked to stress. If you haven't seen a doctor, make an appointment to get tests and a diagnosis. You will get a more definite answer from your doctor.

Report Reply
  • Posted

i have ibs and have occasional bouts of gastritis. These bouts of gastritis for me are like waves of pain just below the ribcage. The pain starts dull the progresses to a sharp pain then eases back . Ive had several bouts of this and 3 times ive had this on an airoplane .

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up