Stomach pains

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all,

I took my first dose of 12.5 mg of methotrexate last Saturday night. About four days later, I started having stomach pain. It's been about three days now and it's been constant. I've been taking the 1 mg of folic acid every day. I've tried Prevacid and bentyl but neither have helped. Has anyone else experienced stomach pain? I didn't take my last dose yesterday, I can't bear this for another week. I'm going back to the rheumatologist in two days. Maybe the injectable will bypass this side effect. I hope it is a side effect, I'm beginning to feel like something else may be causing it because the stomach pain isn't going away. Just wondering if I'm alone with this kind of lengthy stomach pain. Is it from the MTX do you think? Should I try and take 2mg of MTX today?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi David if you are seeing your Rheumatologist in 2 days, I think I personally, wouldn't take the next dose & would wait until I had discussed it with my doctor.

I am having similar problems with Mycophenolate, excepting I have been taking it for 18 months.  I saw my Consultant & he decreased the dose, which helped for a couple of weeks but now I am having problems again.

With your MTX [methotrexate], did you start with a low dose?  When I took it, I took 5mg for the first week, then went up to 10mg per week.

Good luck.

• Posted

I started on MTX on Friday (in conjunction to my remicade infusions every 8 weeks for Crohn's) and felt great all weekend but Monday is when the stomach pain started. It feels like another flare up so I called my doctor since this is now the 3rd one since my last infusion, and he didn't seem too concerned. Just told me to start taking my prednisone again for 5 days...doesn't seem to be helping. Getting an infusion tomorrow but then going to get a second opinion on Thursday.

• Posted

I am taking 15mg injection for past 5 weeks and have been dealing with severe stomach pain. The first episode was scary and lasted several hours, the 2nd was shorter, just 30mns and the third was less severe. I have diarrhea and gas also. It seems to be getting better, maybe as my body adjusts?? My Rheumy initially recommended 5mg of folic acid 24hrs following my injection. He has asked to replace the folic acid with 5mg of leucovorin which he says may be better metabolized by my body and help with the side effects. I'm trying to give the drug at least a 2 month trial period. I have read that indeed injections cause fewer side effects are ham pills.

• Posted

When I upped my dose to 20mg the tummy pain and flatulence began. It is severe 😓

• Posted

2 weeks later and I have to say that the leucovorin (folinic acid) is really helping me with the stomach pain !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.