Stomach problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

For about 6 months now I have been struggling with severe stomach cramps after eating and severe bloating, I have finally narrowed it down to happening when I eat milk and cheese and sometimes fruits such as oranges and grapes. After cutting these out the cramps and pain have definitely reduced to hardly ever however over the past 2 months I've noticed that my bloating has not atall reduced and that in fact my stomach is completely rock hard when you press on it. Also I have noticed now that I can hear, feel and see movement in my stomach particularly after I've eaten, as if I can see and feel the food physically moving through my body. I am also experiencing random twitches in my stomach and a lot of burping. My main worry is as to why my stomach feels so hard to touch and this is not due to any exercise strengthening the muscle either.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi el43021

I had same probs and i changed my diet completely to gluten free, lactofree, dairy free, caffeine free no citrus fruits or fizzy drinks plenty of water..no spicey foods or sauces. I eat fish, chicken, lamb very ocassionally beef and all gluten free cake and sweets and lacto free yogurts and lots of veggies.. My digestive system now is amazing!.....i must say it is a little expensive but what price your health i say!....you can buy a good range of these foods in Tesco if you live in UK.

Gluten free is an acquired taste but once i got used to it i cannot go back to non gluten free....best wishes....

• Posted

Try cutting out gluten to see if it helps the bloating and ask your doctor about IBS.
  • Posted

Thank you both for your replies.. As I'm currently a Nutrition student my diet is centred pretty much around meat, fruit, veg and very little fizzy drinks or treats (which is why I'm a little confused because my diet hasn't changed since getting his problem) and I have over the past few months cut out dairy apart from natural yoghurt. I haven't tried cutting out gluten so far as it recommended that people who are not gluten intolerant do not do this, however this may be something worth me trying for a period to see if it helps as I'm torn between the information taught to me at university and the help that you guys have given me and that I've read that also says that it helps.

• Posted

HI el43021

Gluten was never an ingredient in our diet in our grandmothers day. Even if you

are not gluten intolerant it is a far better option to go gluten free. As I said it is an acquired taste that your taste buds have to get used to and the changes to your digestive system doesn't happen over night..give it time approx 3-4 weeks and you will see the difference...bon appetite...ciao and best wishes....

• Posted

I think that highly depends where you (and ancestors) come from.

My great great great..... parents had already access to gluten and was in our diet for 10000+ years 

since barely, rye was a staple food and meat a very, very rare and precious occasion, veggies, fruits, berries yes, too.

Making bread or mash out of some mostly gluten containing grains was THE food.

Barely (gluten containing) was one of the FIRST cultivated grains in Europe....more than 10000 years ago. (see making beer)

Potatoes, corn and rice  soya did not exist

where I come from until past few hundrets of years only,

one could say the other way round for Europe. And yet some people have no problem eg with soya or potatoes, others have massive problems.

Gluten has always been a part of diet in Europe and parts of Asia for a really long, long time, hence we should be very well used to it and yet some aren't.

Might be different for America! That would be something for nutritional studies. ;-)

Yes, spelt (gluten free) was around too, but not the only staple grain.

Wheat was cultivated in the Middle East and made its way to Europe 1000s of years ago, much much earlier before other gluten free grains.

So there is a lot of trial and error and individual situation/reaction.

Sometimes I think the reaction to mainly wheat (or all gluten?) stems from the overcultivated version, full with pesticides since nothing is really as it was in our grandmothers' days regarding production unfortunately.

Also when one goes gluten free (being not celiac) the benefit often is too, that the whole diet was changed for the better, so the effect not neccessarily from leaving the gluten away, but having more vegetables included? Who knows, as long as it helps!

Oats are boarderline considering gluten content. (Do you feel well with oats or exclude them to feel better?)

But I wouldn't say: "gluten was never an ingredient in our diet in our grandmothers' days" as it actually was for at least 10000years+; "never" is a very strong word and depends on origins and individual past.

Still can make problems of course and worth a try no doubt!

Food is medicine!

• Posted

sanya 11314

Yes, granted grains back then were not messed about with as they are today...they are mixed with various other proteins to make dough fluffier and make bigger fluffier loaves and rolls and bread products and cakes etc.,..Hence, the gluten today is no where near as pure and healthy as it was in our grandmothers and ancestors day.....

• Posted

That's so sadly true. Population going up up up, concreting more over and the need to get maximum out of less space plus the 'fluffy' bite. Not good. I love baking my own bread, but it's not gluten free. ;-)

• Posted

Hi

I also love baking my own bread and cakes and they are gluten free.....

• Posted

Also,you may see difference before 3-4 weeks... hope all goes well for yousmile

• Posted

I  have a lot of the same symptoms and it IBS I'm on the food app diet and it really has worked very well. Look it up.

• Posted

I meant to say fodmap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.