Stomach problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, have been on apixiban for 6 months now. I do have IBS and GERD but symptoms have changed in past few months.  Googling today and came across an article which said apixiban can cause stomach ache, constipation and gas all of which I am having on a daily basis. GP blames IBS but I keep saying it is different and had a scan 8 days ago and not had results yet.  Feels like I have either an ulcer or gastritis, but wondered if it could be related to thinners.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Good Luck in sorting out what is causing what - I've never been able to seperate a lot of my symptoms.     What I can say is that now I am off blood thinners I feel less ill overall.   Less headaches too and less legless.   I get the impression that a lot of people are happy on them and I didn't realise 'they' were such a problem.   I thought I might feel better off Flecanide but in the end it was the blood thinner that made the difference.       Are you on any meds for GERD?   I take Lansoprazole.   It was given them after my AF started when I was still symptomatic of AF but told all was OK.   When I had an endoscopy last year the consultant was adamant I must not have more than 30mg a day because of stomach polpys of which I have some already.   Made me wonder if you are taking something and your symptoms have changed whether you could be having a problem because of them?  

• Posted

Hi Kate, I have been taking esomeprazole for over 10 years now and also have AF caused by GERD.  I can take upto 80mg per day.  Why did they say you could not have more than 30mg with polyps? is it because they think these PPI's cause them.  I have spent most of my life and am 58 with IBS, GERD, Diverticular, it drives me mad not knowing what is causing what symptom, they all merge into one.  Just curious whether thinners made any difference as the pains I am getting now are different.  Awaiting the results of an abdominal CT scan, which may or may not show anything. Take care

• Posted

Young at heart.     Both the GP and the consultant independantely said not keen for me to take more than 30mg.  They did not explain their reasons but after I looked it up I saw that Lansoprazole are known to cause polpys.  I don't know why doctors don't explain to us what they know.   I continue to take the 30mg per day now aware best to avoid taking more. 

• Posted

Hi Kate, I am on esomeprazole so not sure if causes the same problems, but GP said I would safely take 80mg, not for ever but to get me through this painful period.  I wish I could come off them but no matter how much I try I cannot last more than a day without them. Take care
  • Posted

I had a trial of apixaban but it didnt do for me. I am back to warfarin. I do feel since having tinners i feel more general fatigue and ummy troubles, having devloped ibs too. Would love to ditch thinners but not allowed to.
    • Posted

Hi Ann, why do GP's not know these symptoms, it is probably what has flared my IBS, would have saved me all the worry of wondering what is going on and having a CT scan if they knew these things.  Will mention to GP when I go on Monday for a review of thinners, although I epxect him to say they do not cause this !!  Thanks for that info.

• Posted

Maybe you are not eating [url=http://xn--pistagentter-cjb.se//]good food?

and you stomach is getting the toll of it, Im not an expert but if something is worng and you have been this time for a peroid then Im quite sure there is something worng or you are doing something wrong.cry

• Posted

Hi, I eat the best food I can find, lots of fruit, vegetables, chicken, fish and pasta.  I have had IBS since I was 15 I am now 58, but GP just say's some people have sensitive stomachs. But my question was about the affect apixiban has on people as some say it makes IBS worse

• Posted

I have only been on apixaban for 10 days, I have mild gastritis and my symptoms definitely worse since being on it, will see how it goes. Can you take omeprazole safelt while on thinners??
    • Posted

Hi Heather, I have reduced my dose from 5mg twice to 2.5 mg twice a day and already noticed my stomach is easier, thank god, I was beginning to think all sorts of things, cancer etc were going on.  I take up 60mg of esomeprazole a day and my GP said a long as you do not take them at exactly the same time there is no problem.  I think maybe apixiban is not the best for anyone with delicate stomachs.  Take care
    • Posted

Ive called Doctor this morning waiting for call back to see what he says, not sure I can reduce dose this early on?? Also banged my head this morning, not that it made me see stars or anything but of course now thinking the worst about that, god I hate taking this tablet. If I went to doctor everytime I felt something was happening I'd live there lol

• Posted

Hi, I was on 5mg x 2 for 6 months which is why is has now been reduced, not sure whether it will be for life or just another 6 months.  No one seems to know.  I hated it at first, but have now got used to it, the way I see it is it will stop a heart attack and stop a stroke etc that could be caused by a clot.  Also I have cut my finger and nothing major happened so I think it what it stands for that is more scary.  Please let me know whether GP believes it causes stomach problems as I still have the odd twinge. Like you I feel I am at the lot since DVT. But things are getting easier. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.