Stomach problems after diclofenac (Nsaid)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello all

I'm new to forum and sorry if this has been answered before.

I had an operation 3 months ago. I was given diclofenac as pain relief. I told the consultant that my stomach doesn't tolerate ibuprofen but was assured this would be ok.

I took only 7 tablets over three days. Then my stomach issues started. Gurgling, gas, rising feeling, need to burp, burning sensation, emptiness feeling - need to eat regularly. I tried gaviscon to no effect. Then the pharmacist recommended nexium which I took for 7 days with no relief. Nurse at my surgery told me to double the dose. After two weeks I saw my Gp who prescribed lansoprazol twice daily. Two weeks later she added in cimetidine twice daily too.

I was meant to see a consultant and have an endoscopy but this was postponed indefinately due to covid19.

I have now got low ferritin levels and the consultant has reduced my meds. I have managed to reduce and get by with just one lansoprazol a day. I have tried to reduce this further but my symptoms return.

I have had no diagnosis. I am a healthy weight. Non smoker. Haven't drunk any alcohol this year! Drank very little anyway. I eat a balanced diet and take regular exercise. Before I took the diclofenac I had no issues other than being aware that ibuprofen gives me tummy ache - so avoided using it.

Any one else got any experience of this

๐Ÿ‘

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.