Stomach Problems but only on plane and 2/3 days into holiday

Posted , 4 users are following.

The following happens every year without fail and im seriously thinking of giving up holidays as i cannot cope with the pain

I am a 54 year old male taking Lanzaprazole (lowest dose) and citralprom (lowest dose). Ive had gall bladder removed

In the UK I do get a lot of gas but I am comfortable as I can fart a lot (especially in the mornings) which releases the gas 

However when i go abroad on a plane i do get gas on the plane which is expected as I cannot seem to fart but not painful so I can cope with this

If we land say dinnertime im ok if i eat lunch and dinner, again got gas and cannot fart but not painful but uncomfortable

However my problems start always after breakfast after first night. i get really bad stomach pains probably due to not farting. I am constantly burping / belching being sick. I just want to curl up and die. I go to the toilet as normal

This happens again at Lunch and then at dinner it eases off a bit. I am now beginning to do little farts . Next day gets easier etc

I am at the stage now where I am getting stressed even before the holiday about eating so was wondering if this was a trigger and maybe get something from the doctor to calm me down. Ive just got back on the latest holiday to Greece and i was too scared to eat and drink on plane as i knew i was going to end up with stomach ache

Coming home on plane im ok as i am back to farting and sneaking them out lol

Im sure if i could just fart like i do when at home i would be ok but for the last 10 years ive tried everything, been to doctors numerous times

Doubling Lansaprazole and Citralprom

Biokult

Priobotics

Charcoal tablets (maximum dose)

Deflate tablets and countless others

Latest one from doctors - Buscapon (maximum dose)

Can any one help me please, ive tried to explain it best that i can 

Thanks for reading and i appreciate any suggestions

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You need intensive testing that only a hospital E/R can give you.
  • Posted

Try a food diary to see what foods could be setting your symptoms off and see youe doctor again since you are not getting better..
  • Posted

Its not the food as im ok with what i eat at home , i eat the same when i go on holidays etc

is there anything i can take at bed time to get shut of the gas whilst im sleeping,?

• Posted

Some people react to water while abroad because it is different from the water they drink at home.  The food you eat a abroad will be cooked in that water.  That is one possibility.   Another option is that people's cooking methods or styles will also be different from what you do at home.  That too can upset your stomach  Both my dad and myself often react to the food we eat outside or in other people’s homes.  So while the food you eat may be the same, the preparation of that food will be different and may cause problems.

If you are getting reactions on the plane, a number of things could be the culprit.  Tummy bugs can spread about the plane via the air conditioning system.  My aunt and uncle often pick up chest infections after plane journeys.

Are you a nervous flyer?  If you are, this could cause stomach reactions.  The gut is very sensitive to stress.   Even if you are not nervous about flying, the preparation before going on holiday and all the new regulations at airports can also cause stress.

For gas, you could try Windeze or bicarbonate of soda.

• Posted

Been to docs and he seems to think its anxiety and put me on propranolol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.