Stomach problems with anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

i I,m in the middle of an anxiety crisis because of health anxiety and been to hospital for heart tests. All seems to be well, thank goodness but for last few weeks I've completely lost my appetite and feel nauseous all the time though never vomit. This is causing me lots more anxiety because I am losing weight and I equate that with severe illness. Can anyone please reassure me? Thanks. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Loss of appetite and nausea are definitely symptoms of anxiety. You get that nervous feeling in your stomach because you're so weirded about something, that's why you get nauseous and the nausea makes you loose your appetite. I've been through this many times and I suffer from health anxiety. I was able to replace meals with shakes and that helped a lot. I soon began to miss food and little by little I got my appetite back. You should try out some shakes!
    • Posted

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am using complan but realises they have dried milk in and I'm lactose intolerant. Obviously not helping the problem! Do you know if there are any without dairy in? 
    • Posted

I'm the same too! I'm lactose and dairy isn't good on my stomach. I'd make my own shakes. I would make a banana and peanut butter protein shake every morning. Real bananas and and protein shake with peanut butter flavor. The milk I used was lactose free so it didn't get me sick. Make yours with lactose free milk
  • Posted

Lana is right, thats exactly how my anxiety started this time round too. Its not fun for sure and yes the weight loss is scarey! I lost 12 lb in 2 weeks. Started on shake meal replacements till my appetite came back. It took a few weeks of forcing myself to eat small meals or drinking shakes. Give yourself time and make sure to get some nutrients!Xx
    • Posted

I'm a dipstick! Looked online and there are lots of things that are dairy free! Thanks everyone. This anxiety malarkey is no fun! 
  • Posted

Hi elizabeth, I can tell you that i,m feeling exactly the same if that helps, no appetite and feel nauseous due to anxiety, but like your self worry it,s due to something else..It,s a nightmare this health anxiety..Hope things get better for us..x
    • Posted

Thanks for reply Julia how do you manage it? I'm cracking up all day every day thinking about what to eat! I just don't want to but I'm on the scales 20 times a day so that's causing more anxiety! It's the pits eh? 

• Posted

Hi, I started drinking slimfast, quite enjoyed them, and complan meal replacements, thats all i could manage, and maybe a banana, it,s a real effort trying to eat with no appetite.. Also try soup..And yes it,s sooo horrible living like this..x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.