Stomach problems with prednisone

Posted , 16 users are following.

Taking 20 mg daily for ONE and my stomach is miserable. Swollen, acidy, burping and constipation. I don't want to take any ppi. What helps?

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When I was taking Pred I always had a bowl of instant porridge in bed, plus two mugs of tea. After 20 minutes I was ready to go. No pain or stiffness. Best of luck, it does get better! The forum is always there to help, especially Eileen!
  • Posted

Many of us swear by organic natural yoghurt.  ( Yeo Valley is easily obtainable in UK ) It was recommended to me long before I had PMR but did have a grouchy stomach and it helped a lot.
  • Posted

If you don't want to take a PPI and yoghurt isn't enough (it often is) what about ranitidine/Zantac? It has far fewer side effects than PPIs and just using it occasionally might be enough to calm things down.

A few ladies swear by lemon juice in hot water in the mornings, this version says before each meal:

"Although lemon juice is very acidic, small amounts mixed with water can have an alkalizing effect when it’s digested. This can help neutralize the acid in your stomach.

If you decide to try this home remedy, you should mix one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice with eight ounces of water. Then drink it about 20 minutes before a meal to help prevent symptoms that might be triggered by food.

Be sure to drink this mixture through a straw, if possible. This can prevent the acid in the juice from touching your teeth and eroding tooth enamel. And you should never drink straight lemon juice due to its acidity. It needs to be diluted with water to be effective."

• Posted

When I was started on prednisone, I was also prescribed Omeprazole daily. Been on it for a year and never had any problems with reflux or stomach issues.

* Omeprazole reduces the amount of acid produced in your stomach.

* It is used to treat a number of stomach-related conditions caused by too much acid, such as indigestion, reflux, and ulcers.

* It can also prevent ulcers from forming, or help the healing process where damage has already occurred.

-------

As long-term use of Omeprazole can produce nutrient deficiencies, I also take magnesium.

• Posted

Yes, Eileen. I get calcium from full cream milk, cheese, yoghurt, greens etc so no need for supplements.
    • Posted

Taking omeprazole prevents normal absorption of calcium - whether it is from a tablet or from the diet. 
    • Posted

Sandy, Omeprazole daily has helped my hyper acidic stomach, and I take extra magnesium as well.  So far no noticeable side effects, and great relief from stomach problems.
    • Posted

Well, what are you suggesting? Giving up omeprazole and risk stomach ulcers or give up calcium? Just about every medicine seems to come with contra-indications. I am doing what I was asked to do by our medical professionals. None has suggested non-absorption problems, neither have they suggested taking calcium supplements. 
    • Posted

I'm not suggesting anything - I am merely imparting facts.

Actually, I did say what they suggest doing: taking calcium citrate supplements which is more easily absorbed since it doesn't require an acid environment and that there appears to be less problem when using ranitidine which does the same as the PPIs but by a different mechanism. My experience is that doctors are actually often unaware of the long term side effects of PPIs - which in fact should not be used for more than a couple of months a year according to the manufacturers.

I know a lot of people who have never used PPI while on pred and have no problems at all. In fact - the problems were due to using NSAIDs. A lot of us found yoghurt did a sterling job. 

• Posted

Good point. Thanks. Will bring it up with GP. 

Tapering prednisone is going well, down to 3mg, less 'transitional' upsets this time. Another couple of months and expect to be off it. And then, probably off Fosamax and omeprazole as well. 

Love my home-made Greek-style yoghurt with kithul pani (treacle made from the flower of the palmyrah tree). It's the nearest thing to buffalo curd we had in Ceylon.

Must have a bowl right now!

Keep well.

• Posted

Hi ! Is PPI the same as Omeprazole, I have been taking 20mg since I started on preds in 2014 with no side effects that I know about.

I hate breakfast so eat just half a banana before taking my tablets.

• Posted

Omeprazole is a PPI, a proton-pump-inhibitor, that is the mechanism that gives the reduction in acid production. Bit like a spaniel is a dog - but not all dogs are spaniels.
    • Posted

Morning Eileen.  Have you any info about statins?  I’ve developed a horrid dry cough and I can’t shift it.  The only new tablets I have are statins and I wondered if those could cause the cough.  Do you know of any other ways of lowering colesterol?

Greetings from a freezing, sunny Germany.  Constance

• Posted

Statins can cause a persistent cough yes - stopping them removes the cough if there is no other reason for one. So it is simple to find out if it is the statin. Which one are you on?

One lady always told us how her cousin had high cholesterol when she had a stroke and the hospital just said "porridge for breakfast and an orange a day" - which she has done faithfully ever since, it worked and she is now 84 and physically fine.

Diet can do a lot for some people but I think you have to have had a pretty rubbish diet beforehand.

But what IS your cholesterol (LDL and HDL) and have you had a "cardiovascular event" as they term it?  If not, there is little evidence it is worth giving statins to patients over 65. There was already evidence that giving statins to WOMEN without a history of established cardiovascular disease did not achieve any benefit. Now the evidence suggests that using statins and anyone over 75 is of no benefit - they were never included in the trials in a representative way - UNLESS they have had an "event". Are they suggesting that your "episodes" may be TIAs?  

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/880487

And

"Many older adults have high cholesterol. Their doctors usually prescribe statins to prevent heart disease.

But for older people, there is no clear evidence that high cholesterol leads to heart disease or death. In fact, some studies show the opposite—that older people with the lowest cholesterol levels actually have the highest risk of death.

Statins have risks.

Compared to younger adults, older adults are more likely to suffer serious side effects from using statins.

Statins can cause muscle problems, such as aches, pains, or weakness. Rarely, there can be a severe form of muscle breakdown.

In older adults, statins can also cause:

Falls

Memory loss and confusion

Nausea, constipation, or diarrhea.

Often, older adults take many drugs. These can interact with statins and lead to serious problems. Side effects, like muscle pain, may increase. Statins can also cause a fatal reaction when taken with heart-rhythm drugs.

Statins may increase the risk of diabetes, cataracts, and damage to the liver, kidneys, and nerves.

Weigh the risks and benefits.

You and your doctor should look carefully at the risks and benefits of statins, especially if you are older and do not have heart disease"

• Posted

Not my original - why bark when you have a dog!!!

But this fixation with getting cholesterol down at any price drives me nuts!! I never did contribute to the cholesterol theory in the first place - and part of the reason it rises as we age has something to do with needing it. The same as BP going up. You need cholesterol to preserve nerve function and a bit more BP to keep the brain perfused: there is no wonder that dementia is on the increase and elderly patients fall...

• Posted

Thanks Eileen.  Enough to make me really think about continuing with the statins (Pantoprazol).  Cholesterol was 348.  I did have a heart monitor fitted a month or so ago but it worked itself out of my body!!  I liked the side effects you mentioned😏 just like the PMR muscle pain, cataracts, liver, kidneys etc. and I think “older” hits the spot too.

The joys of getting old!

• Posted

That is pretty high - how's the HDL within that?

Pantoprazole isn't a statin Constance - it is a PPI.

• Posted

I agree with you Eileen, my mum was put on blood pressure meds in her 90’s, and we couldn’t figure out why she kept toppling over. Then a few years later she developed dementia. Doctors are too quick to shove pills at people to get an instant fix for everything.
    • Posted

There is this fixation with having a formula for everything. That might work in chemistry; it certainly doesn't where living creatures are concerned.

There is a horror story which puts the point very well.  Edgar Allan Poe, I think, but not a modern one, I know as I listened to it on the " wireless" as a child.

"Formula for Flesh".... was going to magically heal even the worst injuries. Trouble was, they found it wouldn't  combine with blood!

• Posted

I read a book recently, I'm sure the title would be moderated because it's the word bad plus a mocking name for the pharmaceutical industry.  Pointed out that most trials for drugs do not include the very people the drugs are going to be used by.  I know you know all this, Eileen, but it's not general knowledge.  I hadn't really even thought about it before reading the book.  

• Posted

I did enjoy it I have to confess! It isn't just they don't try them on us - they also don't try them in combo with the polypharmacy that far too many patients get put on. I don't mind taking what I need, nor 2 low doses instead of one bigger dose if it works well - but I take quite enough thank you very much...

• Posted

I read the book too. Having worked for thirty years with the pharmaceutical industry there were quite a few things in it which were not quite correct and things were very exaggerated. I am not saying that they are whiter than white, but with out them we would be a lot worse off. 
    • Posted

I was most struck with how things are twisted to make it look like a drug is more effective than it is, or safer than it is.  I also hate that doctors have advertising as their main if not only source of information about new drugs.  As a huge number of deaths are caused by medical mistakes, many of which probably involve drugs, I would rather err on the side of caution when it comes to medicines.  With the unfortunate exception of prednisone I've been lucky not having to consider taking anything else for chronic conditions.  

• Posted

Don’know what the HDL is.  The doctor just said I had to take the statins because of the risk of stroke/heart attack.  Blood pressure around 150/85.  Family risk - Mam and Dad.

Gave you wrong name - Atorvastatin.

Stopped taking them, had a hell of a cough, couldn’t eat.  Been quite ill this last week.

• Posted

Do get the doctor to check your lungs if the cough doesn't improve quickly - atorvastatin can cause interstitial lung disease but I don't know how quickly. You may even need a bit more pred to calm it down.

How old are you Constance (no, don't say redface wink  )  - he seems a tad late to worry since a lot of doctors think it isn't a good idea for over 75s to be given statins.

• Posted

I’m 78.  The strange thing about this very annoying cough all the pain is in the stomach.  It goes on and on - four days so far, day and night.
    • Posted

That is possibly just the effect of coughing on your stomach muscles! You have my sympathy - I have the cold and a foul cough!!!!
    • Posted

Oops - forgot, If I were you. at 78 I'd take my chances without a statin. But I wouldn't take one anyway...

• Posted

Agree. In earlier days of drug salesmen, doctors' showed a bias to those companies who offered 'benefits', overseas trips . . . 

• Posted

Ended up in hospital, again!😡   Severe bronchitis/dizzy!

• Posted

It's been one of those weeks! I spent a couple of hours there too!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.