Stomach/reflux problems, so confused and worried

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had acid reflux for at least the last couple of months and went to the doctor first about six weeks ago because of the awful burning feeling in my throat and mouth, and the dreadful taste/smell that went with it.  I honestly felt I would be breathing fire before long.  I also have a huge stomach after eating, and most of the time now (I am of slim build), and have bowel movements that are not normal for me, ie they are more often and very soft/loose (not diarrhoea), though the colour is about the same I think.  I don't have any stomach pain at all.  The doctor put me on Omeprazole, Domperidone and Gaviscon for suspected gastritis and said I needed an endoscopy at my age (I am 59/f).  It is booked for two weeks from now, but I am too scared to go for it and will probably cancel.  I am in Asia and went to see one last week to "help put my mind at rest".  It put the fear of god into me instead, they don't even use sedatives, just a lidocaine spray and the endoscope looks like a garden hose!  Anyway, after two weeks on the meds I was practically living on the toilet and so stopped taking them.  I think the Domperidone is responsible.  Now I am just taking Gaviscon after meals and am not too bad so far with reflux, but I feel terrible all the time and the burning in my mouth is still there, though probably not as severe as before.  The doctor told me at the appointment to eat regular meals and drink plenty of milk.  I have been looking up gastritis and it seems to me the probable cause is h.pylori?  Why must they do an endoscopy?  Can't they just treat me for h.pylori and see if things improve?  The doctor said he doesn't suspect an ulcer as I have no pain, so what is he doing it for - is there a risk of cancer for example?  Now I don't know what to do.  I am too scared to go for the endoscopy and too scared not to do anything.  What could the problem be??

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you google ranatadine you will find that it should not be taken for more than 4weeks. It then becomes addictive ands eventually long term use causes big stomach trouble. As for apple cider vinegar make sure I its raw unpasteurised with what call the mother in it youwillsee this as cloudy if it is clear it is processed and of no use. Take two five mil spoonful in glass of water do not drink neat as burns throat and take 3tiimes away and it will cure acid reflu . Good luck o and in passing go onamaon anduythe book  a 100 uses for cydervinegarfor a few quid it's amazing stuff bye
  • Posted

Try not to fear the endoscophy, i am so nervous, i have had them with sedation and the last one they didnt offer it wherevibwent so i took a tablet which i got from the doctor. It is over very quickly and it is the best thing to find out what the problem is
    • Posted

Thanks pinkcatfairy.  It's booked for 3rd June but I really think I will cancel.  I am so scared that I will freak out when the tube is going down, or want to vomit.  I am going to go to the ayurvedic hospital before then and see what they say.  
    • Posted

We would all encourage you to Have the endoscopy. I had one without being knocked out. No numbing either. The Dr didn't mess about and it was over in 3mins. You may at times feel like gagging but they are quite used to that and just carry on. You will be very glad you had it done. On the way down they saw I had a hiatus hernia which I knew nothing about. He said White I am down here I'll have aloof at you duadenum! Anyway nothing out of order was found....that's got to be a relief and a good reason to go through with it.

A nurse held my hand throughout.....that did the trick!!

Gigi...its for your good.

james

• Posted

Haha bless you!  Almost sounds like you enjoyed it wink  I am going to see a gastroenterologist privately tomorrow (so far the government hospital only) to see what he says.  The last few days I am very nauseous with sudden bouts of vertigo(?).  No acid reflux though biggrin
  • Posted

Hello Nirodha. I had some issues with indigestion and sickness following a bad bout of food poisoning last year. The indigestion persisted for months, quite severly at times to the point where I was doubled up on the floor, and medication didn't help at all. I was about to insist that I was tested for h. pylori when I started drinking ginger and lemon tea, and my symptoms disappeared completely. That was nearly a year ago and no issues since. Perhaps worth a go? Good luck and hope you feel better soon, whatever you decide to do.
    • Posted

Thanks jojoflower.  I will also look into this.  So glad you are well again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.