Stomach sleeping with a hip replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

Just wondering at what stage and is it at all possible to sleep on your stomach after a hip replacement.

Thank you

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lilylou,

I am not actually sure and no one on here ever mentioned that yet.

Hope someone can tell you.

Good luck.

Petra

• Posted

Hi,

I had an anterior approach hip replacement on October 16th, so I am almost 3 months post-op, and I used to always sleep on my stomach. At this point, I am able to sleep on my stomach, but I can feel the incision when I lay on it because the scar tissue is thick and still healing. The hip itself feels fine and if it doesn't I can usually re-position and get comfortable. Sleeping on either side (especially on the non-operated hip) feels a lot better than it used to and I don't have to place anything between my knees. Good luck to you! It's tough when all of a sudden you're sleeping on your back all the time if you're not used to it.

• Posted

Hello thanks for that. I have had the posterior approach so i dont know if that changes things or maybe if in a couple of months its all good.

• Posted

Hi - depends on your surgeon/consultant restrictions. I always used to sleep on tum but obviously had to be on back for 6 weeks, strangely, I now feel more comfortable on my back. I am what is known as a wriggle arse, so I have never been completely comfy since op. I think it's something that we all need to work on a personal trial and error, but NO swinging your operated leg around!!!!!

• Posted

Awesome thanks. Have you tried stomach at all??

• Posted

yes but not until about 7 weeks out, as previous post, was advised against. can now sleep on tum but I don't find it as comfortable as I used to. Strange!!!!

• Posted

Thank you...yes i guess thats adaptation for you. Im feeling quite um ansty at night is the only way to describe it like i want to be doing something sooooo irritating. I am 5 weeks post op.

• Posted

i am expecting that to get onto your stomach it would be like doing a push up which i an quite good at lol. Kinda slowly moving over using your upper body strength then lowering yourself down....i have no idea lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.