Stomach Ulcer

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all- I have been recently having stomach pains in my upper and lower abdomen as well as my back. Went to ER and they did a abdominal Ultradound and everything was normal.

I followed up with my regular DR and he thinks it's a stomach Ulcer. Ordered a CT scan with contrast to try and pinpoint it.

I told him about my health anxiety and fear of stomach cancer (yes I know how rare it is).

He said not to worry about that and he already ruled that out from the clear ultrasound as that would have shown any tumors.

Being the way I am with anxiety, I still worry about stomach cancer even though I really don't have a reason to.

Not thrilled about a stomach ulcer but I know it's treatable. Has anyone ever had one before? Seems pretty painful.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've not ever had an ulcer but I guess they treat with antibiotics these days?  I can't get into my gastro til October but on patient portal she said not to be surprised if it wasn't gastro in nature as there are a lot of people with unexplained abdominal pain.  That I believe after reading all these posts. Joe79711 - you sound so much like me.  I have a huge fear of cancer

• Posted

Scary to think like that and sucks. I don't know why I just can't be satisfied that they did an abdominal ultrasound and all was normal. That would have showed any type of tumor. Plus the chances of one getting stomach cancer is like hitting the big lottery.  So I shouldn't worry, but that's how health anxiety works I guess :-(

• Posted

There is an H-Pylori test (stool test for a common stomach bug which sometimes causes ulcers & gastritis). 

The treatment for this and some ulcers is 2 types of antibiotics for 1 week and a proton pump inhibitor for at least 3 weeks.

Hopefully a clear scan result will help ease your anxiety about cancer and you can get some peace of mind.

• Posted

Yeah I def think that's what it is. I just let my mind worry too much sad

The ultrasound was clear and normal. That would show any tumors. CT is more to get a closer look at things if they did find something or find another possible diagnosis like an ulcer...

• Posted

Yes in agreement with all your other replies.

I think most often  gastric problems are related to stress and/or poor eating habits.

A good healthy diet, plenty of excercise and a bit of mindfulness and relaxation is a good prescription for starters. Also everything in moderation.

We are so bombarded with unhealthy food choices where ever we go it can sometimes take a lot of will power to resist. I include myself in that 😳

• Posted

An endoscopy would also show up an ulcer.  Clear test results should be a positive thing for you because it shows there is nothing serious going on.
  • Posted

Hi Joe79711

You have to help yourself to cure this ulcer by changing your eating and drinking habits....if you eat spicey and fried food, fizzy drinks alcohol or smoke this will not help the eradication of the ulcer....i don't know what your eating or drinking habits are...but mentioned this just incase ......best wishes..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.