Stomach ulcers and Prednisolone

Posted , 11 users are following.

I really need some advice. A few weeks ago I started getting severe pains in arms, shoulders and legs which came on almost overnight. I couldn't move my arms in bed or roll over and getting out in the mornings it was like I had aged 20 years. Well you all know the symptoms. Could hardly get off the loo or downstairs. All the usual symptoms. I saw my physio who I have been seeing on and off and he thought it could be Polymyalgia. My late mother had had it too. After a blood test at doctors he has put me on Prednisolone for a week to see if things improved. Reading the contra indication it seemed like it was a no no for me as I have a rare condition called Zollinger Ellison Syndrome that means I produce excess Gastrin and therefore stomach ulcers. I have already had 2 perforated stomach ulcers and hence have a small stomach due to surgery.  I am on 40 mg of Omeprazole for life to safeguard another ulcerI also have osteoporosis although this hasn't caused a problem. Since staring the Prednisolone I have had severe heartburn so emailed my gastrointestinal surgeon and he said I have to choose between more stomach ulcers or a better quality of life i.e being pain free. What a choice is that. I am with a new partner who is 7years younger than me and suddenly I have gone from a dynamic 63 year to an 89 year old. Help x

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

An update on my visit to rheumatologist yesterday evening.  He was very thorough and took a very in depth medical history and examination. He was sure I have polymyalgia but has taken bloods to test for rheumatoid arthritis, vasculitis, and other auto immune diseases. He is also checking for coeliac as an aside as I have lost a lot of weight and also always tired together with diarrhoea. He then gave me an injection in my bottom. I forgot to ask what it was but he said it was good for polymyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis and could last for 3 weeks or more. Well I had the most pain free night I have had in weeks and literally jumped out of bed with no stiffness. I have just walked the dog a couple of miles and my arms and shoulders are almost back to normal too. I am due to see him next Thursday to get blood results and review the injection. My worry is that Bupa won't pay for any drugs and now I'm on the private band wagon, if this injection is going to be the answer, will I be able to get it on the NHS. It's a miracle. 24hours ago I was about 90. Today I'm back to being 64.
    • Posted

You are one of the lucky ones - a doctor that listens and recognises PMR.

Don't do too much - a lot of us couldn't walk 500 yds at the beginning of  PMR (I still only manage 1km - after nearly 4 years, but I am 75!!)

All the best. Constance

• Posted

I was lucky to have a local consultant who has a special interest in PMR. I am not holding my breath and keep thinking I'll be back to hobbling  around tomorrow 
    • Posted

Well Hilary, that's good news?! You have diagnosis but he Is still double checking everything else, because as you know even PMR sufferer can have multiple medical problems. I think I told you that I'd spent months in tears because I was in so much pain that I thought I was dying then after taking my first dose of preds I cried and cried through sheer joy that at least I was someway back to my normal self.

when you see him next week it would be a good idea to ask him what the miracle jab was and then speak with him about hula/nhs predicament. Some consultants are also nhs consultants and will transfer you over to their nhs lists, there is nothing illegal in that. But check your insurance policy and double check if drugs are also covered but I do suspect that you had a injected dose of preds.

i'm so happy that you now have a diagnosis because a lot of the worry is the not knowing. Keep us abreast of developments and as constance has said don't go too mad too quickly. It is important that you pace yourself. Regards christina 

• Posted

I imagine it was depomedrone - an injection form of corticosteroid that is injected into muscle and releases slowly over time. How long the effect lasts depends on the person.

Beware though - although it has relieved your pain and stiffness your muscles are still intolerant of exercise so don't overdo things! Part of managing PMR is resting and pacing yourself!

• Posted

I'll try but I have so much to do before my wedding on 18th April. I know I have to be sensible and just hope these injections will work for the day and our honeymoon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.