Stomach unwell and heart palpitations

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

These past two weeks, I have been experiencing stomach pain, especially after eating, as well as heart palpitations from time to time. I have important work to do and deadlines to abide by, so could it be stress? If not, what is it then? How can I solve this problem?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Ella,

I'm not an expert on tummy trouble or a doctor, but I have been through the wars with my stomach recently and learned a lot about how stress can affect the stomach. When we're stressed we trigger adreneline and cortisol, which affects our nervous system and vital organs. We also divert blood away from our vital organs to our arms and legs, so the stomach slows down its emptying and its functiion generally. The stomach might also be clenched subconsciously which is causing you pain.

A few years ago it hurt everytime I would eat - it wasn't the symptoms I have now (acid reflux) but more like physical pain when I ate. It went away on its own over time and when I was distracted by other things. I had been under a lot of stress at uni then and my mum was recovering from cancer so I can testify that stress does some mad things to your body!

Heart palpitations can be caused by quick digestion, and I had an issue with this when my acid reflux symptoms started - my doctor said stomach acid was coming up my oesophagus and causing it to spasm. So although it felt like my heart it was my oesophagus.

I would go to your doctor and get a check done, maybe get some blood tests to rule out anything and to put your mind at ease but it sounds like this is a short term thing and you'll be out the woods soon! Good luck x

• Posted

Hi ella 2144

If you are rushing your food also not giving it time to digest by resting for a while after eating you will get stomach pain. Also if your rushing to keep to schedules you will in all probability get heart palpitations also. Try taking your time eating and relax for at least half an hour after.....and stop rushing and stressing.....best wishes....

• Posted

Have you seen a doctor about your symptoms and  asked for tests?  Ask about IBS.
  • Posted

Try to make time to eat in peace and not rushing as it can make you swallow big pieces of food difficult to digest, find a couple of minutes to relax. finally try to eat healthy during this time that you are stressing. 

i tell you this because i did the same mistake of overstressing and skipping foods or eating fast foods and that gave me what it seems to be gastritis

in your case just sounds like an indigestion which gets better with pepto bismol but dont hesitate to go to your regular doctor if symptoms get worse 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.