Stomach virus/ side effects of meds /IBS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

So almost 3 weeks ago to the day, when I was a little hungover from new year celebrations, following day I went for a walk along the beach and came over a little funny, legs arms felt like jelly needed toilet for bowel movement. I put it down to hangover and/or bug but have also suffered ears sinuses issues so figured it was either of those! 24 hours passed and still felt crap, really constipated, weak arms legs no energy. After 3 days I finally consulted a doctor as symptoms were still the same.

The doctor checked me over, ears, stomach, breathing, blood pressure, temperature etc. He concluded I'd suffered a stomach virus and possibly mild ear infection which were causing my symptoms . He prescribed me omeprazole gastro tablets x 56 (2 x daily) and to take gaviscon, ive now taken 30 to date.

My symptoms don't seem to be any worse but I do get really bloated and abdominal fullness, gas, after eating main evening meal, lunchtime not so bad and seem ok after breakfast.. I have changed my diet considerably since this health scare eating plain cod or salmon fillets jacket potato or rice, green beans, spinach. Ive cut out meat, broccoli, no caffeine or alcohol for 3 weeks and drinking fennel or peppermint teas.

Could this simply be a case of IBS, side effects of omeprazole causing the above? Ive read ibs and omeprazole can cause fatigue as well as abdominal pain, bloating. I did manage steady 40min bike ride at gym last night and have been doing 1.5 to 2 mile lunchtime brisk walks on my work breaks. I'm not sure whether to stop taking the omeprazole to see if I improve?

Before xmas i did experience bloated tummy on certain days and noisy tummy after eating so I'm thinking IBS is the issue as I did indulge a bit over xmas, beer food etc which could I guess have triggered it.

Im 42 years old, 5ft 7 inch, 13 stone weight.

I'm not a fan of needles but did consider a blood test, can you have the blood taken from anywhere other than forearm though?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Omeprazole could cause the side effects you are experiencing. Come off omeprazole and see if these symptoms improve; this will tell you whether you are getting side effects. Omeprazole is for heartburn/Reflux rather than for the symptoms you went to your doctor with. I'm surprised your doctor prescribed this medication. Did your doctor mention IBS at all? To find out if it is IBS, you will need to go back to your doctor and have tests to rule other things out first.

I have heard you can have blood taken from your foot instead of your arm. I can't have blood taken from my left arm because of a nerve injury caused by a blood test. I have to have blood tests done at hospital now because they have health and safety procedures in place there which they don't have at my surgery. I took the risk of having it done on my right arm instead which is also problematic because I have a nerve injury there too because of falling on my elbow. Although it was done properly on that occasion, I did have lots of side effects including a reaction to the antiseptic they use and it was suggested that I may also be sensitive to the metal the needle is made of. I had intense burning and a rash. It felt as if I had been injected with carbolic acid. The phlebotomist had to stop what she was doing a few times to treat my reactions.

I also had problems with the type of elastoplast too which was causing pressure on my arm and triggering nerve sensations. When she applied the plaster, she advised that if it was uncomfortable, she could change it to a round one which she had to do. I have now concluded that it is better for me to avoid any blood tests and even blood pressure tests because the cuff they use for that has to be firm and I fear that could upset my nerve conduction because I am now getting a loss of sensation in both arms and hands and this is worse on the left. If it is absolutely necessary, the hospital would need to do both these tests because I have too many complications for my surgery which is too incompetent and under qualified to do it for me. I have no faith whatsoever in them.

• Posted

Thanks, yes i do get acid reflux and had GERD before and had similar gastro tablets around6 years ago. I did try colofac ibs before seeing doctorin the first few days of symptoms, but he thought because they weren't working he'd try gastro tablets again as he thought it was a stomach virus. I've heard IBS can make you feel lethargic too, but I did manage gym session and walks. I will knock the opremazole and see if i improve, thanks

• Posted

To be honest, Colofac IBS is not a good drug because it is Mebeverine based which either doesn't work or causes terrible side effects such as constipation and severe indigestion. I was given Mebeverine to see if I had IBS. It increased my constipation and gave me awful indigestion, which was far worse than I usually get. It caused me more severe anxiety because my symptoms got worse and further confused my doctors. Coming off Mebeverine made me 50% better and eventually I was diagnosed with IBS. I found Buscopan far better for my IBS.

While, IBS can cause fatigue, my IBS doesn't affect me like that. I have turbo charged energy levels and very little changes this. However, everyone experiences IBS differently.

• Posted

I'd come off the omeprazole as there's loads of side effects. Sounds like post-infectious IBS?

• Posted

hi All

so had 4 days off the Omeprazole and although not feeling brilliant thought I may be improving, no weakness but still not 100%. Anyway I started taking Colpermin on Friday and continued over weekend, also started taking some lepicol physillum husk power saturday sunday.

Stomach still been bloated all weekend and since off Omeprazole but less fatigued I'd say.

I also had to eat out yesterday lunch had jacket spud with tuna mayo, sweet corn and side salad, But last night I couldnt sleep felt like I did a few weeks ago especially when lying down, its like trapped wind, stomach spasms, wouldn't say pain as such but just uncomfortable and keeps me awake. No heartburn, bit of burping but not really reflux

Going back to doctors after work today

• Posted

post-infectious IBS?

• Posted

Thanks all, I'll knock the opremazole on the head for a few days and see if it makes a difference. 24 hours since i last took one, still bloated stomach bloats like a balloon, i don't get diarrhoea and bowel movement is normal

• Posted

hi agentutah, i am glad you're bowel and stomach are a little better! i hope you're stomach continues to mend omeprazole is nasty!

• Posted

Stomach is still bloated and not 100% better, I was up all last night. I took 1 x omeprazole this morning after episode last night I will see what doctor says later

Didnt know if it was something I'd eaten that caused yesterday I 've tried to keep my diet simple and plain but something triggered it, maybe from not taking the antacids?

• Posted

Hey everyone

I had bad year last year due to lower abdominal issues causing me to get health anxiety. I had all sorts of tests, which all came back clear. they gave me all different cocktails of tablets from IBS meds, PPI'S, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine and Ranitidine, I think due to the chronic anxiety mixed with all the meds, drink and bad diet caused me to suffer from gastritis, eventually I switched doctors which thought it could be the paroxetine fuelling the gastritis so he put me on omeprazole which did not make any difference but gave me side effects from hot sweats at night, cold like symptoms, restless left leg at night and numb fingers and toes. I went cold Turkey of the peroxatine and the constant burning pain subsided and I only had the pain after eating. so after been on omeprazole for 12 weeks I went cold turkey, I ended up with symptoms I had never had before, acid in my throat and nose, burning throat and a cough, heartburn. so I saw my doctor about the symptoms and we both decided I should stop taking the omeprazole. like I said earlier i had a bad year last year with my OCD/Anxiety, I am 100% better and have no anxiety, but what got my back up is that after I left the doctors I read my notes, I can access my medical records on a portal. he did not put all my symptoms i was suffering from down to the PPI's, but everywhere on the internet talks about Acid rebound after taking the PPI's. he said he thinks its down to IBS/Anxiety. once you go to the doctors with a mental illness, I find in my case that's the first thing they blame it on. so I decided to go down the herbal route by taking slippery Elm and DGL licorice root. also I changed my diet, no Alchol cut down on caffeine and more veg. I now think it could of been down to low stomach acid. I'm feeling a lot better but I think my digestive system is just trying to get used to having no meds.

Thank you 🙂

• Posted

You can get acid rebound if you come off PPIs cold turkey.. However, it sounds like you are better off with no meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.