Stomach wants to growl but doesn't. Any ideas?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Weird thing, for the past two weeks, I get that build up like my stomach wants to growl, but never does.  It feels like hunger, but a lot of the times, it happens within an hour after eating.  Just some background info, I do have gastritis which I've been working on since the start of the month to heal along with gerd. 

I was on Dexilant for 3-weeks, but stopped it after I started to get side effects.  I'm now back on Protonix.  So far no major issues with the exception of a little indigestion after meals containing fat.  Usually just pop 2-tums in and I'm okay. 

I read online that excess stomach acid can mimic hunger and this pain does feel like hunger.  When I did the switch from Dexilant to Protonix, is it possible that I'm going through a little bit of acid rebound and just need time for it to balance out?  Possible trapped gas?

Just an FYI, I did have my gallbladder removed in March of this year and this actually happened soon after, but did eventually pass.  Also, about a month after surgery I started to experience a ton of bloating & gas after meals, thought it was low stomach acid, but once I started to take a probiotic, the symptoms disappeared.  Should I consider getting back on a probiotic?

I just recently started taking digestive enzymes again to get rid of that "brick" feeling after certain meals, and the enzymes seem to be helping with that very well, and because of the loose stools I've been having.  

Thanks for reading. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If probiotics  helped, try them again.  Acid rebound usually starts if you suddenly stop a PPI medication. I don't know if you could get rebound if you switch from one medication to another. 

• Posted

The reason I thought it could be rebound was because Dexilant is 60mg while Protonix is 40mg.  Planning to pick up some probiotics tomorrow.  
    • Posted

I would ask your doctor about this possible rebound issue to get a more definite answer.
  • Posted

Hi Chucky

I just posted a new discussion about excess stomach grumbling. The opposite of what you re having. I'm going to send you a private message about my visit with the naturopath.

• Posted

@Chucky777,

Were you able to soothe this stomach issue at all? If you were, can you please tell me how you were able to get it to stop, and/or if it was ever diagnosed as anything? I am having the same issue, and it really hurts. Nothing is seeming to soothe it, so I'm desperate to get some feedback from you, or anyone else who may read this and have any info or suggestions. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.