Stomsch problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I’ve been tested for h pylori two weeks ago, came back negative but was put on me it 10 days befor I got the blood tests done, I’ve to see my doctor on Friday so stopped my nexium yesterday to see if it makes a difference and feeling it already, can taking nexium for 10 days previous give a negative blood result

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Before an h pylori test, you need to be off PPIs for two weeks to make sure the test is accurate.  If you were still on them when you had your test, you might have had a false negative result.  When you say, stopping.Nexium made a difference, was this a good or bad difference? 

Ask your doctor if you need to take the test again and explain you were on PPIs when you got tested.  Your doctor should have advised you to come off Nexium for two weeks.

• Posted

Hi pippa was on the nexium to weeks before I could get an appointment for my bloods, not sure if it was h pylori I was tested for, I know it was inflammation markers but not sure if that would also show up h pylori, feel really bad from I stopped them on Friday, it actually feels like acid is even up my nose as we speak
    • Posted

You said in your first post that your tested for h pylori and it was negative. I am confused because you are now saying you are not sure if was an h pylori test but you were tested for inflammation markers.  Was it a fecal calprotectin test you had which only looks for signs of inflammation in your colon?  H pylori is a stomach bacteria which is something completely different.  A test for h pylori only looks for h pylori. Please clarify.

Coming off a PPI cold turkey can cause acid rebound.  Your doctor should have advised you of this.  If you want to come off them, you have to do it slowly.  You would be better to go back on the PPI to control the acid.

• Posted

You said in your first post that your tested for h pylori and it was negative. I am confused because you are now saying you are not sure if was an h pylori test but you were tested for inflammation markers.  Was it a fecal calprotectin test you had which only looks for signs of inflammation in your colon?  H pylori is a stomach bacteria which is something completely different.  A test for h pylori only looks for h pylori. Please clarify.

Coming off a PPI cold turkey can cause acid rebound.  Your doctor should have advised you of this.  If you want to come off them, you have to do it slowly.  You would be better to go back on the PPI to control the acid.

• Posted

Sorry  pippa, I came of mirtazapine after 5 years and went cold turkey, took my 8 weeks to come back to my self again, two weeks after I was suffering really bad with acid, docs put me on nexium with my rants dine and was told to come back after 10 days to have bloods done, checked my bloods for inflammation markers, thought it might have been an ulcer, came back negative , went to have a h pylori test done but wasn’t told I have to be off my stomach tablets for at least two weeks for the test to work, I came off them 4 days and was in agony with my stomach and severe heartburn, lost my appetite and feeling really sick, I don’t know what to do, I started taking my meds again and not getting the test done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.