Stone and penis shaft pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

For 2 years I had been having waves of pain in the urethra (to be exact, burning pain in the shaft of the penis) which could last from 10 mins to 3 hours and usually two or three times a day ( but never when asleep). After some UTI like symptoms I had a cystoscopy where a stone in the bladder was found. The day after the cystoscopy I passed the 7 mm stone and the penile pain appears to have altogether stopped. I am assuming they are related but how? Could it be that the stone had been stuck in the lower part of the ureter for all that time? How could a stone cause a burning sensation in the shaft of the penis when it is in the bladder? Can someone offer some thoughts?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor will advise you better so I can only guess at what's going on.

Maybe the stone was breaking up and tiny particles were passing causing the pain lower down the tract?? Then, the smaller remains of the stone passed to clear away the final traces??

Perhaps some infection??

Perhaps it's the case that pain doesn't always appear to come from where the trouble spot is - a simple example of this is that a heart attack often shows up as pain in the left arm, whereas the trouble spot is the heart itself. It depends how your nerves are wired up!

Good to hear that the stone has now passed. Have a look at your diet and keep drinking lots of water to prevent recurrence.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, Sheffnet.  Yes, that's my thinking also. I am seeing my GP next week and I will organise to have the stone examined and then get to a urologist. No bacteria could be grown from urine samples, so I am not thinking infection. Referred pain seems a reasonable view. but two years for a stone to break up seems a long time. I should have gone to a urologist much earlier I know, but I really thought it was food related and the GP had said she thought it was Intistitual Cystitis.
  • Posted

Hi! i felt a stone passing about 2 months ago but I dint notice it coming out It was the first time I had a such experience and I was not aware what was happening. Since then I am having the same problems you explained in addition I have a unbearable abdomain pain (near the bludder) which start equally with the shaft pain. I did a ultra sound scan but nothing found and now I am awaiting for the CT scan report. Can some one tell me if the CT scan identify something that the ultra sound scan cannot see? Also Blubarb do u think I am having the same problems as you?

I am loosing my self as the doctors have not detected anything but I have the problem with me still! This has effected my day to day life and I am suffering mentally with fear.

• Posted

A ct scan is by far the best imaging for kidney stones. I had 2 x 7mm stones that did not show on xray but were clear on ct.

Pain (renal colic) is a good sign pointing toward kidney stones. Bleeding in urine without pain can be more serious. In urology, pain can be a good indicator of infection or kidney stone.

• Posted

My guess is you have uric acid kidney stones. These require ct scan to be detected as they are not opaque.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.